Chapter 3

Elise

My father keeps a photo of my parent's wedding day in the living room. It's a large photograph that sits over the fireplace. My mother looks stunning in it, and my father looks confident. What I could never shake was the haunted look in my mother's eyes. She doesn't have a smile on her lips like brides usually do on their wedding days. She looks terrified, her eyes wide with terror. And as I look at myself in the mirror, I finally recognize the emotion she wore on her face that day. It was fear.

My dress is long, and sleek, clinging to my body in all the right places with a train that drags at least six feet behind me. My hair has been pulled into an intricate updo with loose curls tickling either side of my face, and a large diamond necklace courtesy of my husband to accent the gown and my ring. It all looks so beautiful and perfect. I look beautiful. But on the inside, I am screaming. This isn't what I wanted. This isn't what I dreamed about. No part of my wedding did I even choose. It was all chosen for me, as was my life.

I tense as the bells above the church ring, signifying the time.

My vision blurs slightly as tears form in my eyes. But I can't let them fall. To cry is to smear not only my father's name but my family's. This is my family's salvation. Marrying into the Pasquino family is their golden ticket. They will now have more opportunities and better protection, and they will be known among the territories. My family will be untouchable from today onward. But not me. After today, I am his. I am the sacrifice for their gain.

A light knock sounds at the door before it is opened. My aunt stands in the doorway, a scowl on her face as she looks me up and down.

"It's time."

As we make our way through the halls, I can't help but feel an emptiness inside. Being born into this world is a lonely existence. I could never have friends outside of my family. I don't even have bridesmaids to accompany me down the aisle. I've only ever had my family; my family that willingly sold me to the highest bid. Luca has plagued my nightmares all week. His words were so out of place, and yet he sounded natural in saying them to me. He won't hesitate to put me in my place. He is a man who expects obedience.

The depressing chords of the organ slowly echo into the hall as we approach the chapel. It does nothing to drown out the heavy throb of my heart. And seeing my father waiting for me, his expression unchanged as he takes me in, makes my heart sink even further. He holds his arm out for me, and I place my hand in the crook of his elbow as we turn to face the aisle that will forever change my life.

"You're doing us proud."

My breath catches in my throat. In all my life, my father has never expressed how he feels. And now, on the day he gives me away to a man we both know is not to be trusted, he speaks of the pride of the family over my feelings. He hasn't expressed concern about this drastic change. He hasn't spoken with me about what to expect, nor has he expressed empathy over the situation. He is happy to trade me for power.

Before I can fully digest how I'm feeling, the music beyond the doors changes as they fly open. The music spills into the hall washing over me as my eyes focus upon my groom. Luca stands at the head of the church with his hands crossed in front of him. He looks devilishly handsome, his dark hair pushed away from his face. He's wearing a perfectly tailored tux, a grin on his lips as he takes me in. If I weren't so bogged down by my own fears, I might've been able to appreciate my husband's good looks.

He holds his hand out to me, the gesture meaning more than what it seems on the outside. My father passes me off, placing my hand in Luca's ridding himself of me once and for all. I notice the warmth of Luca's hand as he holds me, his piercing gaze studying me intensely as the priest begins his sermon. I can't focus on the words he's saying, not while Luca watches me like a wild animal. His gaze never falters, not even when I repeat my vows.