Chapter Six: Sweetheart

CHRIS POV

I walked swiftly down the hallway, my lips still tingling as I remembered kissing her and touching her. I couldn't believe I had told her I loved her. Fuck Jackson. What he didn't know wouldn't hurt him. But if he found out... Melanie would be dead. And I couldn't let that happen. I passed Christian in the hallway and he raised an eyebrow.

"Late to class?" he asked. I just smirked at him. 

"Where's Melanie?" he asked. 

"Why?" I responded, feeling protective. 

"I haven't seen her today and she's not answering her text messages. Was she in first period?" he asked worriedly. Why did he care...

"Yeah, she was." I said, adjusting my backpack and continuing down the hallway. I was going to be late for second period by about fifteen minutes, but I didn't care. I had just had the best moment of my life. 

MELANIE POV 

I tugged the collar of my shirt up self-consciously to hide my mark, but a smile spread across my face. He had kissed me even after he was ordered not to. I couldn't stop thinking about that. My knees got weak any time I thought about him, so I knew I couldn't face him just yet. I decided to skip second period so I wouldn't have to see him again till lunch. I inhaled. I could still smell his scent lingering here. I closed my eyes and thought some more about him. I was head over heels, and I couldn't deny it.

As soon as the bell rang, I grabbed my backpack and slipped out of the closet, heading to my next class. Halfway there, Christian caught up with me. 

"There you are." He said with a smile, grabbing my waist to make me face him. His smile instantly faded when he inhaled. 

"Why do you smell like Chris' cologne?" he asked, raising an eyebrow. 

"W-what?" I stuttered. I felt my back pushed against a wall as Christian got in my face. 

"What did he do to you? Did he hurt you?" Christian asked, his eyes searching mine. 

"N-no, he d-didn't touch me." I lied. I unconsciously tugged the collar of my shirt up again, and Christian noticed. He caught my wrist and moved it away, pulling down my shirt slightly and staring at my neck. His hands began to shake and his eyes began to glow blue. 

"Christian calm down." I said quickly, looking around to make sure no one was watching us. 

"He hurt you." Christian said in a hollow voice. 

"No! He didn't!" I yelled, but Christian was already gone, walking swiftly down the hallway towards Chris' next class. I froze in shock, but I didn't want to miss another class, so I unwillingly ducked into my classroom just as the bell rang. My heart thumped loudly as I sat at my desk, twisting and untwisting my hands in nervousness. Oh God, what had I done? 

CHRISTIAN POV 

I stormed over to Chris' class and caught the back of his shirt just before he walked in to his classroom. I shoved him against the lockers and the bell rang loudly, deserting the hallway of all students and teachers. We were alone. My eyes were glowing blue, and I could see his eyes glow red. I was pissed. 

"What did you do to her!" I yelled. 

"I didn't do anything to  her!" he shouted. 

"Then why does she smell like you and have a hickey on her neck?" I growled lowly. 

"First of all, I'm sure I'm not the only guy in this school that wears that cologne, and second of all, Jackson told me I can't have feelings for anyone, so I wouldn't put that on her neck." he said through clenched teeth. I could feel my palm heat up, but I decided I believed him and I dropped my hold on him, letting him slide down the lockers until his feet touched the floor. 

"Go bother someone else." he spat, striding into his classroom with his hands balled into fists. I closed my eyes and gripped my necklace, calming down enough to go back to class. I felt my eyes fade back to brown as I walked back to my third period class, but I couldn't deny the fact that I was puzzled. I couldn't believe that Melanie had cheated on me. I just couldn't imagine her doing something like that, even though we weren't technically going out. We both had feelings for each other. 

CHRIS POV 

As I sat through my boring Geography class, I tapped my foot against the leg of my desk impatiently, waiting for the bell to ring so I could make sure Christian didn't hurt Melanie. If he did I would kill him. When the bell finally rang, I jumped out of my seat and darted out the door, jogging to Christian's class. Melanie was the first person out of the classroom and she looked at me with wide eyes, blushing furiously and tugging up the collar of her shirt, hiding the mark I had given her. She was mine now, no matter how much she wanted to deny it. She had feelings for me, and they were stronger than the feelings she had for Christian. My arm brushed hers as she hurried past me, and my fingertips tingled at the memory of touching her most precious spot, stroking her, making her moan... my eyes glazed over as I drifted into a daydream, and I almost missed Christian as he walked by me. I reached out and grabbed my arm, spinning him around. 

"What did you do to her?" I asked. 

"Why do you care? It's none of your business." he said. 

"I don't want you to hurt her because that will cause a scene and then we'll have to move away again before our secret gets out. And I'm pretty sure you don't want to move away from Melanie." I said pointedly. Truth was, I was the one that couldn't bear to move away from her. My heart yearned for her. 

"Since when do you care about my feelings?" Christian asked. 

"Since now. I'm your brother, it's never too late to start trying." I said before walking off to my next class. When I was almost there, I felt someone grab me by my arm and yank me into a storage closet, shutting the door behind me. Melanie's hands fluttered over me helplessly, her eyes wide. 

"Chris, I'm so sorry." she said. I raised an eyebrow in confusion. 

"Sorry for what?" I asked. 

"D-didn't Christian hurt you? He looked mad and I knew he saw through my lie and I just didn't want-" 

"Shh. He didn't hurt me. He doesn't know, sweetheart." I said, pressing a finger to her lips. Her legs trembled when I called her sweetheart, and I smiled at her before opening the door and leaving. I had never smiled that wide for anyone. Except for her. She was my adynamía. My weakness.