A Restless Night

"Well, Jackie," Jack sighed crawling into bed next to her, "There's no doubt now, she's mine."
    "Did you ever have a doubt, Jack?"
    Jack shook his head, "Kid, you've been so reasonable about all of this."
     "Bunny, what was I going to do? You were a bachelor for a long time before me. I knew about the other women before me. Besides, Irene's a blessing from Arabella."
     "How do you figure?"
     "She knew what to do and got me to the hospital safely and quickly so I could deliver Caroline. She's a wonderful kid, Jack. I don't know how from what's she's told me about her real mother, but she is."
    Jack patted Jackie's hand. He turned over and fell asleep while Jackie lay awake. Finally, she decided to walk downstairs. She found Irene awake reading. "Can't sleep?" Jackie asked sitting down next to her.
     Irene shrugged her shoulders and sighed, "I just feel uneasy."
     "About what?"
     "I'm not sure. I just have a funny feeling."
     "Mind if I sit up with you?"
     "Not at all."
     "I need to tell you something. You and Caroline have made Dad so happy. He's happier than he's been in a long time. So stick around, okay?"
    "I wouldn't want to be anywhere else, but here," Irene smiled gazing at Jackie.
    The silence was interrupted by the cry of a baby. Both Jackie and Irene went towards the nursery. After finally getting Caroline to sleep both women went to bed, "Hey, tomorrow with the family, I'll be there and they aren't going to give you trouble, okay?"
     "Don't put yourself in an awkward situation for me."
    "Hey, I know what they can be like. Sometimes you need a little back up."