+ Chapter Three: A Black Tie Event +

I had my arm laced through Darren's, my hand resting on his forearm as he led me into the rather large ballroom. My eyes scanning the room out of habit-a couple of creatures glanced in our direction-we were met with a mixed reception. Druids were not often looked upon fondly. I mean our families were basically the policemen of the supernatural realm-humans who dealt in smoke and mirrors, tricksters even. I'd heard a lot of worse names growing up, but we were a necessary evil-most of the creatures understood that.

"Tough crowd..." Darren mumbled to me, "I'm going to go get us something to drink..." He left me standing alone awkwardly near the door. If a human had happened upon our little even they would have seen a room full of beautiful people-the upper echelon of society. When I looked around the room I saw them for what they were-Strigoi, Fey, Elves-a nightmarish reality I would love to wake up from.

A heavy sigh escaped my lips as I pushed myself to move deeper into the crowd. Rubbing shoulders with people as I tried to squeeze my way through-I felt a familiar sensation skitter up my spine, raising the hairs on the back of my neck. It was the same feeling I had gotten a couple days ago like someone was watching me. I twisted around, looking over my shoulder with narrowed eyes as I searched for the cause of my anxiety.

My soul magic flowered in my chest and my fingers twitched with the urge to find my prey-the bloodlust making the colors of the room twinge with red. I turned my head, eyes scanning the crowd like a hungry predator. Demons normally fed off of humans because they were easily deceived and possessed. A demon that was strong enough to possess another supernatural being-was a frightful beast indeed. A challenge that I found myself eager to accept.

"You feel that Pop?" My brother asked with not so subtle excitement as he reappeared at my side, drinks in hand. I tilted my head to the side as I narrowed in on a women in a red ball gown-our target acquired. She must have sensed our presence as well because she cast a look over her shoulder, eyes the color of pitch as the demon made itself known.

"Hell yeah! It is so on!" Darren growled chucking our drinks as he pushed through the crowd, "Move! Get back!" He shouted as he dropped to his knees, pressing a palm to the floor. Creatures big and small scurried back from him in surprise and confusion. He cast a circle with his soul magic. As I yanked apart the slit of my dress, revealing the dagger holster to my thigh. I pulled it free as I ran toward Darren-readying myself to do battle with devil himself If I had to, at least it would make coming to this damned event worth something.

Darren used a transmutation spell to shift into his fierce five-tailed kitsune-the living form of his magic. He hissed loudly as his tails whipped around wildly behind him, eyes glowing a violent shade of orange. The demon ran away in terror, pushing through the crowd. I smirked to myself giving it a ten-second head start to make the game a little more interesting, before I took off.

My magic whirled around me, slicing through the air like katana blades. I threw out my hand in a focused blast, sending all my energy rushing toward the woman in the red dress. She stumbled as it flayed her flesh- blood spraying outward and coating a couple of guests in its black sticky substance. She let out a piercing scream of pain that rattled the chandlers overhead but pushed forward in desperation, clawing for freedom like a wounded beast.

I flipped the dagger in my hand, striding forward with every intention of dragging the foul creature back to hell. The demon staggered away, falling into one of the guests-time shifted when a clawed hand pierced through its chest, ripping the heart free. I came to a screeching halt, watching the unexpected turn of events with morbid fascination.

The man clicked his tongue off the roof of his mouth with a look of boredom in his bright azure eyes. His hand was sticking out of the creatures back, a black heart in his clawed hand, "This was one of my best suits..." He mumbled before pulling back, letting the body drop to the ground at his feet. I swallowed hard as I felt a shiver of excitement snake up my spine and clutch at my already racing heart. He flipped his gaze toward me, holding me captive. My magic surged out of me, wrapping around him like the a shielding bubble--it only lasted for a moment but I had never had my magic behave in such a strange way.

His lips twitched, "I believe this is what you were after little witch..." he held the heart out toward me like a strange offering of forbidden fruit. Black blood dripping from his claws finger to the once pristine tiled floor of the ballroom.

My lips pressed together tightly, "Druid..."

His eyebrow arched up as his eyes sparkled with dark amusement, tilting his head slightly to the side, "Interesting..."

The crowd began to bustle about whispering with excitement over what they had seen. Yet, I couldn't seem to look away from the man in front of me-no matter how much I screamed at myself to do so. Luckily a beautiful woman in a black cocktail dress approached us, eyes flickering over the bloody scene as if she had seen it a thousand times before, "Alexei-I thought Niklaus told you to be on your best behavior..."

"Calm down Anna. Wouldn't want to turn grey before your time..." He never looked away from me, "I was only becoming more acquainted with my mate...what do you call yourself druid?"

Anna and I spoke in unison, "Your what?"

Darren appeared by my side, slightly out of breath, "Damn that was crazy! Did you see how flawless that transformation was? Almost as good as your..." He glanced toward Alexei with confusion, noticing the demon tainted heart in his hand.

He leaned in closer to me, putting his hand on my shoulder, "Who the hell is this psycho?" he whispered none to subtlety. Alexei regarded my brother with a predatory glance and I felt a wave of anxiety, as if I was doing something wrong by letting another male touch me even if it was only my brother. He tilted his head to the side, "Anna..."

The blonde beside him moved quickly, pulling my brother away from me, by the lapels of his suit jacket. I tensed up ready to attack when Alexei stepped up to my brother who was held firmly in Anna's grip-a look of exasperation on her beautiful face. Alexei grabbed onto my brothers hand, "I don't like people touching my things. Now, make yourself useful witch..." He planted the heart into Darren's hand. My brother made a face of complete disgust as Alexei stepped towards me, wiping his hand clean against his slacks. My feet were planted to the ground and my breaths came in short gasps. He reached out and grabbed a strand of my hair that had fallen free from my bun, twisting it around his elegant finger, "Whats your name snowflake?"

"Snowflake?" I questioned back in confusion. He met my gaze, smiling at me-revealing a set of razor sharp canines. My heart nearly leapt out of my chest when I realized I was standing two feet from a Lycan-they were the most unpredictable beasts in the supernatural realm. He tugged on my hair, flicking it in front of my eyes, "Yes...snowflake..."

"It's not snowflake, its Poppy..." I swallowed hard, clenching my hand tighter around the hilt of my dagger. He must have noticed my reaction cause his eyes drifted down to the blade for a moment. He held his devilish smile as he reached out with his stained hand, grabbing onto my wrist and pulling it up toward his face. I tried to fight his grip but he didn't let up until He pressed the blade to his neck hard enough that If I had put even a slight amount of pressure it would cut through his flawless skin, "If you want to kill me-You'll need to take my head...snowflake."

--------------------

Song: New Moon--Heather LaRose

A/N: Well...what an eventful meeting ;-)

Gotta love that sexy Psycho...