Chapter 5

PAIGE AND DANIEL'S relationship progressed naturally to a deep and powerful love. Paige had never thought she would fall in love again. Yet now she couldn't imagine life without Daniel. Daniel was not only thoroughly enthralled by the intelligent, brave and beautiful woman, he had completely fallen for Jason, too. He readily shared the responsibility of taking Jason for his treatments and helped Paige any way he could.

One Friday night, Daniel arrived shortly before seven. "What's that?" Paige asked, pointing to the yellow folder in his hand.

"Let's discuss it later." He gave her the brown paper bag in his other hand. "This is for now, for dinner." When she accepted the bag and pulled out a bottle of merlot, he placed the folder inside the sleeve of his jacket and hung it up.

Later that evening, with Jason tucked into bed, Daniel retrieved the folder. Paige had nearly forgotten about it. Seeing it aroused her curiosity, but she also felt a sense of trepidation.

He must have read her expression since he was quick to reassure her. "It's nothing bad. I promise."

He took the file folder to the dining table and sat down. "I've been doing some research."

Paige's gaze shifted to the folder, then up to meet his. "On?"

"Cancer treatment facilities."

Paige felt her doubts resurface. She responded with a noncommittal, "Okay."

"Here's what I came up with. Perhaps no surprise, the Karlsen Center for Cancer Care is the best in the country."

"They're located in Pennsylvania? No, wait. Maryland, right?"

He nodded. "East Baltimore. And they can do the surgery and follow it up with the treatment that's been prescribed for Jason. They've had very good results. Significantly better than other hospitals. Here, have a look." He withdrew a single sheet from the folder and slid it toward Paige. "They're willing to consider Jason's case."

Paige perused the statistics. She was grateful to Daniel, even if he'd done it without her knowledge. This was too important. Only one thing mattered—that Jason's chances would clearly be better at the Karlsen Center than any other hospital. "What about timing? When could they do the surgery?"

"Under the circumstances, they'd accommodate Jason. They have many operating rooms, and they can reassign as needed. They committed to hold a date for Jason based on his oncologist's recommended timing, subject to your choosing their facility."

He slid two more pages toward Paige. "This one." He tapped a finger on the first page. "It gives you an overview of their programs." He pointed to the other one. "This provides brief bios of their oncologists and surgical staff."

Paige scanned the sheets. When she was finished, he handed her a multipage, stapled document. He didn't need to explain what it was. She could read for herself. It was an application form. The proposed date of surgery was marked at the top.

"This all sounds too good to be true. But the expense," Paige objected. "I could never afford it."

"You don't have to. I'll take care of it. Please don't argue. Forget the money, Paige. Think of what's best for Jason."

The money issue aside, and even with the increased rate of success at the Karlsen Center, it was an agonizing decision for Paige. She knew that surgical removal of the tumor afforded the only chance Jason had to live beyond a few more months, but the risks were significant. How could she gamble a small chance for a cancer-free life against the possibility of losing the few months he still had?

Then she thought of a discussion she and Jason had had earlier that week. There'd been an article on the front page of the local paper about third-world conditions that had sparked his interest. She remembered his words distinctly. I'm going to beat this thing, Mom. I want to grow up and be an architect, and help people in places like that where there aren't any schools or hospitals.

Daniel was offering them the best possible chance for Jason for a life free of cancer. If Jason was that determined—if he had such a strong resolve to live—how could she not give him the best chance he had?

"All right. I want to go ahead with the Karlsen Center." Her voice gained strength and determination as she spoke. "Jason deserves the best chance to beat his disease, and this is it." Tears of gratitude, hope and fear coursed down her cheeks. "Thank you," she murmured.

                                                                                    * * * * *

DANIEL GATHERED PAIGE in his arms, stroked her hair and held her tightly as she cried. He could feel the sting of tears in his own eyes.

As he held her, a decision became crystal clear to him. Acknowledging his deep love for Paige and Jason, he knew unquestionably what he wanted.

Daniel drew back, his eyes meeting hers. "Paige, I don't know what the future will hold, but whatever it is, I want to spend it with you and Jason." He framed her face with his hands. "I love you, Paige. I love you beyond reason. I want to marry you, and I want us to spend our lives together. But I also want Jason to be part of my life and for me to be a part of his. I'd like to be there for Jason—to be his father in every way I can. Now that you've made your decision and we're going ahead with it, I want to be his father before we go to the Karlsen Center."

For long moments, Paige only stared at Daniel. Then she threw her arms around his neck. "Yes. Oh God, yes," she whispered.

Jason, too, was ecstatic when they told him. Paige and Daniel got married in a quiet civil ceremony the week before Jason's surgery. Jason gave his mother away and served as Daniel's best man. He was so excited he didn't have a chance to worry about his upcoming ordeal.

Come what might, Jason now had a dad, and Paige had a husband, a partner, and an unquestionable source of strength and comfort for the rest of her life.

They just had to get through Jason's surgery first.