Ch. 29: Making Amends

Slowly, I made my way over to the portrait hole and frowned- not exactly sure I was going to like who was behind that door, but fighting against my urge to walk away and be done with it, I pushed the door open and was mildly surprised. "L-Leo? What are you doing here?"

     He was tall, with dusky cheekbones set high on his face and eyes that burned like the amber flames that he had so easily controlled on the first night that the visitors had arrived. Jenna eagerly beckoned him through the Great Portrait's hole. 

     Leo smiled politely as he came inside, ducking his head that was laden with short, chopped coarse black curls. His Durmstrang robes snapped elegantly as he stood once more and brushed himself off as he cleared his throat.

     "Hello," Leo cautiously nodded, with a nervous nod around the room as our group watched him. There was a mixture of confusion and surprise.

      Fred pointed his nose upwards and smiled. "Ah, Louis. Surprised to see you outside of Defense Against the Dark Arts. "

     "It's Leo, actually, --" Jenna quipped, quickly followed by a tsking Fred. 

     "Pretty sure it's Louis, --"

      All the while, Leo ignored the pair. "Dear Elizabeth," he spoke solely to me, taking my hand with a ginger touch. "Will you do me the honour of accompanying me to the Yule Ball?" His voice wavered a tad but was as gentlemanly as possible.

      Shocked, I looked up and around the room, searching for Jenna. Wasn't she planning on asking Leo herself? 

      Jenna gave me an exciting look and egged me on with a small thumbs-up, mouthing how she would explain everything later.

      Turning my eyes back onto him, I smiled lightly. "Yeah, sure! Thank you." He grinned and laid a quick peck on my hand, shocking me. With that, he bowed at us all and sent me a wave. "I'll meet you here before the dance." 

     He turned towards the Portrait hole once more, thought for a moment, and said to Fred. "It's Leo Medivk." He smiled nicely, then he was gone just as quickly as he came.

     Slowly, I turned around to look at Jenna and Lana with a raised eyebrow. "The hell was that about?" I put my hand on my hip, watching my friend as she shrugged and twisted a blond curl on her forefinger. "I thought you were going to ask him?"

     "Yeah, I was. But on my way to ask him... Someone else asked me." She mumbled guiltily. "So, then I asked him if he would go with you -- because I knew you would refuse to go if you didn't have a date. I knew you were never going to ask anyone."

      Lana raised a hand quietly trying to interrupt Jenna's babbling, a frown etched on her face. "Okay, that's nice and all but who asked you?" She looked accusingly at Jenna and I thought about it as well.

        "Yeah....you were totally obsessed with Leo. Who would you have said yes to other than hi --" My mind flashed back a month or two to the first day of Advanced Potions. Jenna had been drooling over one guy in particular. "JENNA!" I screamed, realizing who she was going to the Yule Ball with.

        She cringed and make a run for the stairs, forgetting that they had been transfigured into a slide. "No, no please don't hurt me you don't understand!" She screamed, running slowly up the slide, she fell and picked herself up, then attempted to run up the slide once more.

       "Explain, then." Lana put a hand on her hips, I noticed the others giving us weird, confused looks. They didn't understand who we were talking about.