| i. NOT DEAD

ONE

ONE.
NOT DEAD

EXHAUSTED, WILA struggled with her seatbelt, tearing it off and throwing open the cockpit. She grunted in fatigue as she clambered off the back of the X-Wing, hissing as her hands met the steaming metal of her ship. She stumbled forwards slightly once her feet hit the cool concrete, before wincing at her terrible attempt at landing on the roof of a high-rise building on the planet Korrath; the place she'd once called home. 

For a few moments, she stood in silence, with only the sound of steam hissing from the front of her X-Wing invading her mind. A light creaking sounded in the busy night air, and Wila found herself remembering the existence of her little droid, who still sat on the back of her ship. "That was fun, eh, Kay?" Wila managed, taking in a long breath as her voice tremored. 

She gave herself a moment to breathe, tugging off her helmet and allowing her cropped hair to fall to her shoulders, a mess of choppy waves and knots. 

Wila coughed into her hand for a second, bent over at the waist and gripping onto her knees, before straightening and returning to the mangled wreckage of her ship. "I'm surprised you're not in little pieces," Wila murmured, rolling her eyes at the little droid as it made a point of beeping at her until she'd pried the locking mechanism apart, freeing it from the wreck that was her ship. "If I was as terrible of a pilot as you think I am, I wouldn't be the commander of—.." Wila cut herself off abruptly, lips parting slightly.

Kay whistled at her pathetically.

With a quick glance at the ground, Wila stepped back, nodding her head slowly, before Kay fired up its rocket thrusters and stylishly flew upwards for a moment, and then dropped down on the concrete floor in front of her. "Good job, buddy," She murmured, sniffing as she started tugging off the flak vest, along with the life support box on it. Kay beeped at her, as if quietly asking her if she was alright, but she ignored the droid. "I know place not too far from here, we should be safe there for a while until I can find I ship to take us back to Yavin 4," She continued quietly, stripping off the rest of her flight suit, disposing of the ugly orange material.

Kay beeped loudly again.

Wila took an extra moment to adjust her jacket over her shoulders before she was prepared to start navigating. She slowly glanced around at the dark city, short strands of damp hair falling into her watery eyes. Kay shrieked at her. With a grunt of annoyance, Wila whipped around glaring down at her droid, "Quit it, would you?" She ordered angrily, clenching her jaw tightly.

There wasn't much that made her cry, but losing more than half of her squad one one mission seemed to strike something in her chest. 

Kay whirred quietly for a moment, before letting out a few trills of binary, quite similar to the question of if she were alright. Wila clenched her jaw. "I just watched over half of my squad die," She gritted out, "I led them to their deaths, alright? I'm anything but okay."