Chapter 17 "Accident"

Levi POV

"What do I do now?" I muttered at Lola, who was sitting across from me. Her mother was cooking breakfast and Shay was still sleeping.

I had came over as soon as Shay asked because I was just that whipped and plus, it was getting boring in that empty house. Lola sighed in annoyance and tapped her fingernails against the surface of the table.

"I don't know why you two make it so complicated. It's so easy." I glared at her and I was about to raise my voice but then I remembered Lola's mom was in the room.

"It's not."

"Uh, yes it is." She said rolling her eyes.

"If it's so easy then why don't you ask your crush out already?" She opened her mouth to retort but then she closed it, having nothing to say.

I smirked at her in triumph. "Checkmate."

"Someone go wake Shay up. Breakfast is almost ready." Lola's mother said from the stove.

"Ah, perfect. Levi can do it, I'll help set up the table." She childishly stuck her tongue out at me and I growled under my breath.

I trudged up the stairs and into Lola's room, where Shay was sleeping peacefully. I laughed at her sleeping position and took out my phone. "I'm sooo showing this to Lola." Taking the picture, I stifled my laughter and tried to shake her awake.

"Get up, you gotta eat." I said and she scrunched her eyebrows together, turning in another direction.

Her curly hair was absolutely unruly and drool settled on the corner of her mouth. She was sprawled out over the mattress, leaving no part uncovered. "Hey, get up." I dragged the covers off of her and at the last minute, she grabbed the hem and tried to pull it back over her.

"Ugh, fuck you." She mumbled in a sleepy tone.

"I know that you would like to but you have to eat first." I said with a exasperated sigh.

"Levi?" She said through half-lidded eyes.

"Uh huh." I said smiling tenderly at her mild confusion. Ahh, she's so adorable.

"Mmm, what time is it?" She rubbed her eyelids and squinted at the sunlight from the window.

"Time to eat. Come on." I held my hand out to her and she grasped it lazily, pulling herself out of bed.

We went downstairs and Lola stared at our interlocked hands, making her jaw drop and showing the food in her mouth. Shay made a face of disgust and shook her head while I laughed. "Please close your mouth." She slipped her hand slowly from mine and walked over to Lola, closing her mouth for her.

She and I thanked Ms. Alabero for the food and began to eat. Lola suddenly let out a gasp and we directed our attention to her. "Oh my god, we totally forgot to tell you."

"Tell me what?" I cocked my head slightly in curiosity and Shay let out a snort.

"It kinda looks like you have some competition. Shay has a secret admirer." She said getting up and giving me a note card.

I read it and growled. "The bastard is purposely trying to get on my nerves."

"Can I guess that your brother also liked to steal your things?" Lola said as she put a spoonful of scrambled eggs in her mouth.

"Yeah, but Shay isn't an object. So I guess it's safe to say that he likes to take the things that I like."

Lola sent an apologetic smile to Shay and she nodded. "So what are we going to do about it?"

We all sat quietly, unsure of what our next move will be or if we'll even make a move. "I think we should lay low for awhile but be on guard. Nobody can move alone in an isolated place. We always have to be with one or the other."

"Me too?" Lola asked and I nodded. "But I'm-"

"I'm not taking any chances." I said sternly. I felt Shay's eyes on me and I looked at her but she looked away quickly.

"Listen if any of you need help, you need to have someone on speed dial whether it's the police or us. It doesn't matter, you guys can't afford to take any chances and I can't either. This is serious. If you can't get a hold of one of us, then you need to be carrying some kind of weapon. Shay, I know you have a switchblade, do you think you can provide one for Lola?" She nodded and I resumed talking.

"I know my brother and for the last few days, I've been gathering information on his movements," Shay interrupted and stared at me with nervous eyes. "How?"

"I have my resources. No need to worry." I winked at her and she smiled but doubt had settled in her eyes. "Anyway, according to his movements, he'll be a making a move soon. I don't know when but it's in the near future. He'll probably form a plan to get us all to separate and then he'll make his move on you. That's why I need all hands on deck from now on until this is all over."

"But will it be over?" Lola said staring at me worriedly.

"I sure as hell hope so..." Shay muttered as she stood up and put her empty dish in the sink.

We were all on edge because our lives were on the line. It's funny considering the fact, that we were just teenagers and we got sucked into something we knew nothing about. We were supposed to worrying about graduation and prom, not worrying that one of us would get hurt tomorrow. I stared at Shay's tense back and then stared at Lola's finger clenched tightly around a cup.

I have to fix this myself. I know they want to help but they don't deserve this at all. It's my fault that I couldn't stay away. I hastily stood up and they jumped in surprise.

"Sorry, I have to go. Shay, stay with Lola. I'll be back." I said smiling sheepishly.

"But wher-"

"I'll be back." I reassured them.

They backed down and I left the house without another word. I got in my car, clenching the wheel tightly. "Fuck..." I whispered angrily, running my shaking hand through my brown locks. I started the car and pulled out the driveway and sped towards my house.

I burst through my front door and sat on my couch. I pulled out my cellphone and dialed his number. After a couple rings, someone picked up. "Hello, little brother. Are you having fun? Did you see the bouquet I got for your lover, was it beautiful?"

"Cut the shit, I'm tired of it. Leave them alone." I said through my gritted teeth.

"Oh, you already know that I'm not stopping this game. It's getting too fun." His giddy voice surfaced through the phone.

"Please don't do this to them..." I whispered, ignoring the burning in the back of my throat.

Silence answered my pleading and I spoke again. "Please..."

"Why should I stop just because you ask me to?" He asked calmly.

"Because I'm hoping that you still have your heart."

His psychotic laughter burst through the phone and my heart dropped into my stomach. His menacing voice came through and sent a chill up my spine. "I lost it when you killed our parents."

"Oh, by the way, heads up."

"Wha-" Before I could finish my sentence, the ceiling cracked and collapsed on top of me unexpectedly. I would have been fine if an object from above hit my head and knocked me unconscious.