Chapter 5

Papa and I rode home in silence.

.....................

Next morning, I woke early. After I dressed, I made my way to the stables. In the third stall to the right stood my horse. My mare. My Bella Blue. Papa purchased her just after I turned ten. The mare had an injured leg and a slew of scars across its body. But yet, Papa still bought the horse. Over the next few years, my papa nurtured and trained the horse until it was the best mare in the whole county. He and I named the horse after my mother and the color of Carolyn's eyes. And then for my thirteenth birthday, Papa led me out to the stables and told me that the horse was mine. All mine. That day was one of the best birthdays of my life.  And six years later, on that same day, I lost my mamma. That was the worst birthday of my life.

I unlocked the iron latch on the stall. Bella Blue neighed and purred. I placed my hand on her nose and patted her mane softly.

"Mornin', my Bella Blue. How'd you pass the night?" I asked with a smile. The sun shone through the breaks of the wooden boards of the stables. Bella Blue neighed and stumbled around in the stall, ready to ride. 

"Good. Good. I passed the night quite well actually. Slept like a rock. Thank y'all for asking."

I took Bella Blue by the reins and led her out into the morning sun and fresh grass. I placed my leather saddle on her back and climbed on. I slapped the reins lightly and the mare stepped into a stroll. After making it a little ways from the barn, I nudged my foot softly into Bella Blue's side and she moved to a gallop. After a few minutes of anxious waiting, I slapped the reins and my mare took off. As we rode, I felt the early morning sun on my face and the cool breeze through my shirt. I could feel Bella Blue panting under me but when I tried to slow her down, she refused and kept on going. We road all the way through Cherrywood County and even into Oak County.

Before we knew it, the sun was setting and I felt the sunburn on my hands, forearms, and neck starting to ache. I slowed Bella Blue down and brought her back home. Before the day turned to night, I led her into her stall, refilled her feed and water, and latched the door.

"There we go, girl. You all good?  Have a good day?" I asked quietly, brushing her mane out. Bella Blue purred.

"Well that's nice. Me too. Now it's time for bed. G'night, Bella Blue." I replied, grinning at the mare.

Suddenly, I heard a loud bang just down a few stalls and to the left.  I rushed over to find out what had caused the ruckus.  In the stall where we kept the supplies and equipment laid a slave covered in feed on the floor.  I unlatched the door and rushed in.

"Good Lord.  Are you alright?"  I asked brushing off the feed from the girl.  I grabbed her hand and pulled her up.  It was Lila.

"My, my.  What do we have here?" I declared jokingly.  Lila snickered as she wiped the rest of the feed off of herself. 

"so I guess you're on horse duty?" I asked while beginning to clean up the feed.

Lila nodded and joined me.  For the next hour, we cleaned up the mess.

"Alright, well I believe we've cleaned it all up!  Good teamwork!  Oops." I said as my hat fell out of my hand.

Lila and I both reached down for my hat.  On the brim, our hands met.  Lila immediately stood up, nodded a goodbye, and rushed out of the stables.

I smiled, placed my hat on my head, and ambled toward the house.

.....................

"Where you've been all day boy?" Uncle Judd called from the dinner table. 

"Been ridin'."  I replied as I took my spot at the table.  Then, Sari appeared from the kitchen and served me a plate. 

"Thank you, Sari." I said quietly, enough for her to hear.  And apparently enough for Judd to hear too.

"Sari?  What in the hell is that?  New slang for a black?  A slave?" Judd asked rudely.  He chuckled at his own, stupid joke and took a swig of his whiskey.

Sari lowered her head and began to walk out of the dining room.

"It is her name.  You use a person's name when you're friends and you respect 'em.  You should try it some time, Uncle."  I replied, staring intensely at his drunken eyes.  Out of the corner of my eyes, I saw Sari smile as she fully exited the dining room. 

"Slaves are slaves.  Not friends, boy."  Judd replied leaning forward, sharing the same glare.

Suddenly, a loud belch erupted beside us.  Carolyn smiled.

"Thought it might ease the tension.  Yes?  No?  Alright." Carolyn stated, cleared her throat, and continued eating.

Judd was not amused.  Papa was nowhere to be seen.  I couldn't help but giggle.  I could feel Judd's eyes staring at me but I still chuckled.  So did Carolyn. 

"Knock it off, boy," Judd bellowed and smacked me upside the head, "I'm done eating.  Slave!  Take this!" 

"No, Sari," I said, stopping Sari from taking Judd's plate, "I'll take care of it.  If Carolyn's done, I'll take her plate too.  Least I can do is help ya after the disrespect Uncle just said to ya."

"Thank you, sir."  Sari said politely.  I took Carolyn's plate and followed Sari into the kitchen.

"You didn't have to do that, Jessie.  I could have handled it."  Sari said as she took the plates from me.

"No, no.  It was the least I could do.  Thank you very much for the dinner by the way.  It was great." I said, leaning back on the kitchen island. 

"Well, thank you and you're welcome.  Why were you so late to dinner anyway?"  Sari asked, cleaning off the plates with water from the kitchen tub.

"When I was putting Bella Blue, my mare, away in the stables, I heard a loud crash.  Turns out it was that girl who I fetched the firewood with.  Spilled feed all over herself and the floor."  I explained with a giggle.

"Lila, you mean?" Sari asked.

"How'd you know that was the name I'd given her?"  I asked, curiously.

"I asked how it went when she came back from the firewood trip and she wrote it out for me.  Luckily I can read.  But boy, she's a smart one.  She can read, write, and figure.  You didn't know that I betcha?"  Sari told me.

"Why, that's mighty interesting.  Who knew?"  I replied, filled with amazement.

"You know, she seems much more happy over the past few days since she's met ya.  Before, she was all sad cause her family was all gone but now, she's real happy.  Been staring and nurturing that lilac you gave her.  She's taking quite a liking to you, I think.  As a friend of course."  Sari said with a smile on her face.

We stood there in silence for a while.  Then, Sari spoke.

"I must be off then.  See you tomorrow morning for breakfast, Jessie."

"See ya, Sari.  Sleep well."  I replied.  I stood in the kitchen, leaning on the island as the quiet of the house engulfed me.

I smiled.