Part 3- Thanks, I Owe You

My eyes slowly opened as the sound of chewing registered in my ears, I shot up straight and saw 10k shoving a mouthful of almonds into his mouth.

"Oh good, you're awake" He comments, smiling playfully at me. He tossed me a bottle of water and what's left of the bag of almonds. "That's the last of the food, we need to find more today before we move on"

"How's the side?" I asked, motioning to his bandage.

"It's healing nicely, thanks to you. The ibu helps with the pain and I can hold up my rifle without it hurting too much. It's bruised like a mother fucker though" He lifts his shirt and peels away the bandage to reveal a splotchy mess of purple, green, yellow, and red surrounding the entrance wound. I scrunched up my face in disgust and he chuckles lightly.
"Alright, lets get outta here" I say. I lace up my boots, throw on my vest and strap on my belt. He nods and I lead the way outside to the truck.

A couple of stray Z's stagger after us as we speed off down the road. We make it into the center of town where most of the shops are located. I back the truck into an alley right next to an old grocery store and hop out. 10k rounds the truck and asks what the plan is. "I was thinking you post up on the roof and cover me while I go around front and bust the door open. I'll gather as much food and water as I can find and then we'll meet back up at the truck in say.. 15 minutes"

He looks at me like I just sprouted a second nose on my forehead and laughs in opposition.

"There is no way you're going in there alone" he says with a stern voice.

I pat him on the shoulder and smile at him with confidence. "Don't worry sharp shooter, I can handle myself" I wink at him and take off to the front of the store before he had time to protest any further.

10k spits on the ground in frustration and runs to the ladder on the side of the store. I look up to the roof after I take down a couple Z's and see him posted up. I grin and run to the door. Several shots ring out as I pry the door open with my axe. Once inside I scan the layout. Four rows of packaged food stretch to the back of the store. To the right used to be the produce section, now the fruits and vegetables lay rotting and moldy. On the left was the meat department and the smell of rotting meat hit me like a tsunami. I gag and put my hands on my knees to steady myself. I pulled off my bandana and tie it around my face. I closed my eyes and took a deep breath (through my mouth). I look around again and bang my axe on a support beam I was standing next to, trying to draw out and Z's hiding in the back. Sure enough, two of them come running down the center isle. I extend my right foot behind me to steady my stance, preparing for the first Z. I stab the spike of my axe right through its forehead and the mometum from pulling it out gave me leverage to slam the blade down on the back of the second ones head. Dean and deader. I swing my axe triumphantly and grin as I step over their bodies to scavenge the shelves. I slid my axe into a loop in my belt and find a box of power bars, 3 cans of corn, and 2 water bottles. I round the corner of the isle with my knives at the ready.

A flash of green and im on the floor with a huge Z on top of me, chomping towards my neck.

"10k!" I yelled as I struggled to keep it from biting me. My knives were knocked out of reaching distance, I was fucked. "10k! Help! 10k!" The only thing I could do was scream and pray to whatever God was left that he would hear me. The door swings open and 10k bolts down the isle, hunting knife tightly gripped in his right hand. He stabs the knife clean through its skull and it colapses on top of me. I push it off and lean up on my elbows.

"Thanks, I owe you" I gasp, trying to catch my breath.

"I told you not to go alone!" he says, his voice rising with anger. "You could have been killed!"

"It was a close call, but I'm fine 10k, relax" I said as I stood up and retrieved my knife from the floor.
He grabs my shoulders and looks me dead in my eyes. "From now on, we go everywhere together, got it?"

"Okay, Damn" I spat out defensively. He was right though. That was too close of a call, I can't risk that happening again. He huffed off and searched the other isles for food and found 3 more bottles of water, two cans of canned fruit, and a bag of jerky. I followed cautiously, careful not to push his anger any further.

We walked back to the truck and he threw his bag in the back seat. I opened my door, but was stopped by a hand on my shoulder. I turned around to see 10k head down, kicking the ground with his hands in his pockets.

"I'm sorry" he said still looking at the ground.

"Its fine, really. You were right okay, I shouldn't have went in alone. It was a stupid mistake... I'm sorry."

He pulled me into a tight hug and my stomach filled with butterflies. I hugged him back and as soon as it began it was over. He walked around the truck and climbed in, and I hopped up into the drivers side. I was about to turn the key when I looked over to him and grinned wildly.

"You wanna drive?" I asked, raising my eyebrows encouragingly.

"Really?" his eyes lit up and he leaned forward eagerly.

I tossed the keys to him and scooted over so he could slide onto the drivers side. He scooted towards me and I climbed over him, straddling him for a brief moment to get to the passenger side. He blushed and quickly looked down to the steering wheel and remembered the task at hand. He ran his hands around the leather wheel and then turned the key. The low growl of the engine sent shivers up his spine. He adjusted the mirrors and bounced in his seat like a child awaiting to open their gifts on Christmas morning.

He slammed his foot down on the gas without warning and I slammed back in my seat.

"Easy tiger!" I laughed and we sped down main street, toward the open road.

__________
Hey guys! So this chapter was kind of rushed, I apologize if the quality isn't up to par.. But woah, 10k was being super protective, omg! As always, vote and comment! Thank you :)