Planned Return

"Morning," Roy said when Ezra opened his eyes. He sat up. His Nexu bite was burning slightly, but otherwise he felt well rested.

"What did I miss?" Ezra asked groggily.

"Not much," Roy replied. "Trandoshans have been sniffing around closer and closer to our hideout. We're going to have to leave for a few days."

"How's Dogan?"

"He's fine. He'll cope. How do you feel?"

"Fine. The bite burns a bit, but otherwise I'm good," Ezra said.

"Let's change the bandages," Roy suggested, grabbing a jar. He reapplied the green paste and rewrapped the arm. The area around the bite was bright red.

"Do bites usually look this red?" Ezra asked.

"Yeah. Don't worry about it," Roy told him.

"No Trandoshans nearby," Dogan reported, coming into the room. "Now's as good a time as any to relocate."

"I'm sorry for any trouble I've caused. Thank you for your help. I'm going back to the beach now," Ezra said.

"Are you crazy?" Dogan demanded. "We just risked our lives to get you away from the beach. Now you're going back?"

"I have to wait for my master. He'll come for me," Ezra said.

"Kid, your master is never going to find you. The sooner you accept that, the sooner you'll be happy. You can live out your last days in peace," Roy said.

"My last days are a long way off," Ezra told them. He walked past Dogan and out into the dawn sunlight. Roy came out behind him.

"You're making a big mistake," he warned.

"I'm not the one who made a big mistake. That was the Trandoshan who kidnapped me. I wouldn't want to be him when the rest of the crew finds him," Ezra said with a slight laugh.

"If you're going, I'm coming too," Roy decided.

"You don't have to. I'll be fine," Ezra told him.

"No, I'm coming. You'll need me. You'll need us," he said.

"Don't drag me into this," Dogan grumbled, climbing out of the cliff. "I don't want to be around when he finally dies."

"Why are you guys so dead set on me dying?" Ezra asked. No one answered his question.

"The beach is that way," Roy said, pointing through the trees. Ezra set off in that direction with Roy close behind.

"You're actually going to follow that kid?" Dogan asked.

"Yes," Roy replied. "I'd rather he didn't suffer a slow and painful death when there was something I could do about it. Wouldn't you?" Dogan vanished from view and Roy and Ezra continued through the trees.

"Who's Kylo?" Ezra asked when they were a good way into the woods.

"You heard that, huh?" Roy asked. Ezra nodded.

"Kylo was a kid, just a little younger than you are now," Rot began explaining. "He and Dogan got along really well. I think they imagined that they were brothers. One day some Trandoshans found us when we were finding some food. We tried to run and hide, but in the end Kylo was killed. Dogan always blamed himself for what happened."

"That's sounds awful. I'm sorry," Ezra said.

"Don't be. That's how things go here. And besides, Kylo was going to die anyway. He was already sick, we just didn't know it yet," Roy replied.

"Stop talking! They'll here you!" Dogan hissed suddenly, appearing behind Roy and Ezra. The trio dropped to the ground.

"Glad you're back," Roy said.

"Two Trandoshans are nearby," Dogan said. "With the noise you two were making, I'm surprised they haven't shot at you yet."

"Would we be able to take them out?"

"No, they both have powerful rifles. And they already know we're here."

"What's the plan?" Ezra asked.

"Run," Roy and Dogan said in unison.