Prologue (Part 2)

*************************

PROLOGUE (Part 2)

************************

September 15, 2003 (Later that Day)

Office of the CEO

Andrade Shipping International

"Stavros Demakis is here to request a meeting."

Costas Andrade of Andrade Shipping International turned his chair around and pressed a button on his intercom.

"Show him in," he replied to his personal assistant. The corner of his lips turned up in a sneer and his blood sang with triumph and delight.

He had waited for this meeting for a long time now. His arch nemesis would finally come to him grovelling.

Costas personally set out to ruin his competitor's shipping business. He just didn't expect  Stavros would be able to hold out this long but it didn't matter.  Everything he worked for was now in the palm of his hands.

Why did he do this?

Because forty years ago, Stavros Demakis stole Costas' intended bride. Yes, it was an arranged marriage but she was the most beautiful girl and Costas truly wanted her to be his. The girl, however, fell in love with Stavros and eloped with him, thereby crushing all of Costas' plans.

"Come in," Costas said when he heard a knock on the door.

His personal assistant opened it and nervously ushered Stavros Demakis inside. He felt a flash of annoyance when he saw Stavros. The man he hated most looked the same even after all these years, aside from his grey hair and the lines around his eyes. It seemed as though time had treated him more kindly than it had Costas.

"Please sit," Costas gestured to the couch in front of his desk.

Stavros folded his tall frame in the seat and glared at the man who ruined his company. He looked like a man who was only here because he had no other choice.

"Now, to what do I owe this pleasure?" Costas asked.

"You damn well know what this is about, Andrade! Every chance you got, you ruined me. Now, the bank and the board are pestering me because I am losing my company! I came here to tell you about it so that you could start gloating. That's what you wanted, isn't it? Now, tell me: are you happy now? In your own twisted version of justice, does this pay what I did years ago when I took your intended bride?" Stavros snarled.

Never. That debt can never be repaid, Costas thought to himself.

He clenched his fist under the table and fought for control. He sat back in his chair, feigning innocence while he watched the other man with amusement in his eyes.

"I don't know what you're talking about," he lied.

"Bastarde," Stavros growled. Costas only raised an eyebrow. "All of this is because of Prudence. It all boils down to her. But you know what? I'd give it all up again for her. I regret nothing." Stavros dismissed Costas' beautifully decorated office with a wave of his hand.

Stavros' only sadness was that she died at such a young age.

Costas' eyes flashed with fury at Stavros' words but he quickly tamped it down for he did not want to give Stavros even a bit of satisfaction.