Chapter 2- Sacrifice (1)

************************************************

CHAPTER 2- SACRIFICE (Part 1)

*************************************************

"Sebastian. Excellent as always. I expected no less from you."

Sebastian's chest puffed out with pride at his boss' words. In their world, you either lived by the rules or you died trying to fit in. It seemed as if the fates were smiling down at him. He just managed to secure police protection from a corrupt set of officials. Now, they were free to do their business in this city.

"The bosses will be pleased. For this, I will grant you a boon. Ask anything and if it is within my power, I will grant it to you."

Sebastian grinned. This was what he was waiting for.

"I need you to get me a job. I have a specific one in mind."

"A job? Why? You can live off your commissions!" his boss exclaimed.

"Let's just say that I have another ulterior motive...a personal vendetta."

His boss smiled menacingly. "Well why didn't you just say that? I love vendettas. Tell me about it and this job you want is yours."

September 22, 2003

The Amphitrite (Nikos' Yacht)

Somewhere in the Greek Coast

***RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIING***

Nikos turned and then groaned at the shrill ringing of his cell phone.

Who would dare interrupt him when he said that he didn't want to be disturbed and that all his calls and meetings be cancelled? He picked up a pillow and placed it over his head to drown out the noise.

"I think you better get that, Cherie," the woman beside him purred in a heavy French accent. He lifted the covers and stared at her exquisite features. She smiled at him and it was the smile of someone well-satisfied.

Her hair was tousled and her cheeks were still flushed from their recent bout of lovemaking. He smiled at her and she launched herself up his body and began kissing him eagerly. She was a renowned French supermodel and she was his latest mistress.

Nikos felt his body responding to her expert caress and he almost gave in. But they were interrupted once more by the incessant ringing of his phone.

He sighed and then placed one last kiss on her lips and stood up to retrieve his phone.

"Nikos Demakis. And this better be important," he growled.

His grandfather's laughter echoed in his ears.

"Nikos. I assure you that this is important," Stavros Demakis answered his only grandson.

"Nice hearing from you, Pappou... How are you?"

"Fine, my boy, but I am afraid I need to cut your vacation short. I need you here at the office as soon as possible. You know the current state of our company and I have some things I must discuss with you."

Nikos pinched the bridge of his nose and closed his eyes in a gesture of exasperation. He had planned his weekend with Marietta, for a really long time now. He had pursued her relentlessly but it was a long time before she succumbed to him. He wanted to cherish this moment of triumph when she was finally his.