Chapter 1: The Move

Hey! Thank you so much for reading this! I do want to remind you all that this is one of my first books, in English. I'm from the Netherlands so, if there are any mistakes, I'm sorry! Enjoy my new book!

____________________________________________________

Moving out of New York felt like one of the hardest things in my entire life - well, my life wasn't exactly that long yet; I was only seventeen years old. Still, I was moving away from everything I'd known and had been familiar. I was losing my friends, my home, and it felt really awful. My mom noticed my sour look and patted my hand for a moment before letting hers return to the steering wheel.

"Oh, sweetheart. Cheer up. I'm sure you're going to have fun and make new friends," my mom beamed at me, but I didn't look back at her. I was staring out of the window, trying to forget the fact that I was leaving everything behind. Some people craved an opportunity for a new start, but I didn't. I loved living in New York; I loved my friends, I loved the city, and now we were just... moving.

I had no idea what to say to her. 'God, wow, thanks for ruining my life?' That was what it felt like - it felt like she was deliberately ruining my life. I knew she wasn't, but the whole time she'd been packing she kept on mumbling. She had been on the phone for hours, and it had been really strange.

As I thought about it, I recalled how she had been acting the week before.

* * *

"How did he find out?" Mom shouted into the phone, her expression a mix of horror and concern. "He couldn't have found out! I never told anyone except you!" She sharply exhaled, pacing back and forth. I was hiding behind the door, listening in to her conversation. I didn't know who she was talking to but I knew it was serious; she seemed pretty upset. Frowning, she seemed like a stranger - not my bubbly, happy mother. Intrigued, I leaned in more.

"No, I didn't want him to find us," she murmured, pressing a hand to her forehead. "I don't want him near us." She was silent for a moment, and I was still curious as to what they were talking about. "I can't stay here. You know that, Lilian. Not now. Not when he knows. I have to go, but where do we go to? It seems like he follows us everywhere!" Mom rambled, hyperventilating.

I had seen her like this before. We had actually moved a lot when I was little, but we had settled in New York after I argued with her. I just didn't want to leave again - not when I had settled and finally made some new friends.

"Alamery? Are you crazy?" she cried out before quickly hushing herself. "That's insane," she whispered. The woman on the end of the phone, obviously called Lilian, seemed to have reasoned with my mother, because after a while her face sobered up. "Fine. But if something happens-"

She was cut off when the other woman started talking again in a rushed voice. Then, suddenly, the call was over. My eyes widened as I realised I needed to get out of there, fast. If she noticed me standing there, she'd cut off my head.

I darted to my room and locked myself in.

Two days later, she told me we were moving.

* * *

It was so weird. She sounded so worried and distressed. She really wanted to leave New York, claiming that her anxiety was actually excitement because of the new job. I tried to believe her - and eventually did, not wanting to worry too much about her conversation with 'Lilian'.

Anyway, she knew how much I loved the city. My best friend Jonah and I always went to Central Park together on Saturday mornings, and now that wasn't possible. I missed him already but I knew that he would probably move on and pick someone else as his best friend. I had other great friends in NY, such as Alice, Tira and Savannah, and they were all friends with him too. They'd forget about me, and I had a new number after all so they couldn't contact me. It was like Mom was leaving no traces behind, like she was hiding us...