No one ever said school was a fun place

Hearing the beeping noise from my annoying alarm clock was not the way I wanted to start my day.

I mean, I didn't really want to start the day anyway, knowing that I would be sucked into a void of darkness where they expect you to get a good education and set so many expectations, that you can't reach because you're life is crumbling right in front of you.

Yeah, school. A wonderful place where friends are made, everyone is smiling and people are shitting rainbows. I hate it when people lie to me.

I kick the covers off of me, feeling a cold gust of wind go against my shoulders. Shivering, I reach for my glasses so I can actually see where I am.

After finally adjusting to my surroundings, I sit up, and basically hurl myself off the bed and onto the floor, making a large thumping sound as I hit the ground. I let out a large sigh knowing today is going to be a long day.

I stand up on my feet, almost losing my balance, and walking over to my drawers as if I'm a guy that's completely wasted and attempting a sobriety test. I open the drawers and pull out my usual attire. Black skinny jeans, a band shirt, the usual shit.

After dressing myself, I go downstairs to the kitchen, where I find my older brother, Gerard, sitting there.

"Good morning, Mikey. Did you sleep okay?" He asked me, sounding as if he wasn't tired at all.

"Are you kidding me? Of course! I slept great. I dreamed of unicorns, flying puppies and rainbows." I respond in my usual sarcastic tone.

"Yeah, I can tell by the sound of you hitting the floor after rolling off your bed." Gerard chuckles.

"How are you so happy about this?" I ask him.

"About what? School?" He asks, knowing that's the only thing on my mind right now. "I mean, I've gotten so used to it by now, it doesn't really affect me anymore. But I get why you're nervous, Grade 10 isn't the easiest grade to pass."

"Thanks, Gee. But, I'm not nervous about it. It's just, that, I don't know..." I say, frustrated with myself.

"Well, I'll tell you that whatever you're worried about isn't even worth your attention. Next week, you'll be fine." He says, shrugging his shoulders as he eats his cereal.

"I sure hope so..." I mumble to myself.

Unlike other kids in high school, I don't worry about things like marks, not being able to find my classes, and all that other bullshit. I'm more worked up about the fact that no one there actually likes me, I'm not up for getting beat up or teased again this year. I'm not one to make friends, or even communicate with people for that matter. The only person I really talk to is Gerard, he's been through some shit in high school; beat up, made fun of, tripped in halls, have pranks played on him. But somehow he's making it through and I don't know why. I know for sure, I'll end up either dropping out or dying before graduation even happens.

"Anyway, I'll get going. I don't want to be late." I say in an overexcited, obviously sarcastic voice, making Gerard chuckle.

"See you later, Mikey. Lemme know how it goes." Gerard responds, waving goodbye.

I walk outside, feeling the warmth of the sun on me.

God, I'm burning.

I begin my journey to hell, making sure to be extra slow in my steps. I see people bike past me, as if they have to be there in a hurry. People celebrate the first day of school as if it were some fucking holiday, meeting up with their friends, squealing as if they hadn't seen each other in ages even though they saw each other yesterday. It just doesn't make sense to me. But hey, not a lot of things make sense to me.