Part 1 - When There Was Time

-*17 Years of Age*-

Reader's P. O. V.

I try as hard as humanly possible to spot his bright, cheerful face through the crowds of people. I stand on the tips of my toes and shade my eyes from the sun with my hands before a little boy runs into me. I look down at him, and he looks up at me. His eyes are a bright brown and his hair is blonde that reflects the sunlight as he sits on the ground.

The little boy scrunches his nose and begins to wail, throwing his fists into the air. He looks as if he might be two years old.

I crouch down and pick the little boy up in my arms, cradling him as I stand up. I start gently singing when I hear the voice of a woman calling for somebody.

"Alou!" She called through the crowd. "Alou where are you? Come back to Mommy!"

I make my way towards the voice as the little boy begins to stop crying. Somebody tries to run past me by pushing me out of the way, but I side step and continue for the woman. The woman sees me, actually to be more specific she sees her little boy, and rushes for us.

The woman stops in front of me and I had her the little boy. 

"Is he yours? He is a very beautiful child." I say politely, looking up at her.

The woman smiles at me. "Yes he is, thank you. Alou is very stubborn though. He ran away from me because I didn't buy him a piece of candy. I couldn't afford it."

I reach into my pocket and pull out some change. "Here, take this. It'll make Alou happy if you buy him a piece of candy. There's enough for a pound of deer meat as well."

The woman gasps, joy lightening up her face. "Oh, thank you so much, Miss!" The woman says as she turns to walk away. "Goodbye!"

"There's no such thing as 'goodbye'." I call to her and she looks back at me. 

"Then I'll see you around." Her smile widens.  

I nod my farewell to the woman and turn around, only to run into somebody else. We both fall, but when I look up, I see him.

  "Levi! There you are!" I squeal with delight and tackle him in a hug.

  Levi lets out a gasp as I tackle him in my lovable embrace. He looks down at my (H/C) hair, as (H/C) as it gets, before letting out his chuckle.

"You're so silly, (F/N)" He says as he messes with my hair. I playfully swat his hands away.

"Tch! Brat, you dare touch my hair?!" I tease.

Levi smiles brightly. "We should get up. People are going to trample us if we sit here all day. That, and we're getting odd looks."

I nod and slide off of him. I begin to stand up to give Levi a hand, but he beats me to it, offering his hand instead. Gratefully, I take his hand.

"I understand that it isn't in your best interest to get looked at oddly," I start. "But I think that it's a good thing. The odd looks that people give you only help you define yourself. It tells you that you are different and that you are unique. Anybody who can't 'respect' that is only showing how jealous they are."    

Levi puts his arm around my shoulders, pulling me close. "You're so optimistic." He says and playfully pushes me away.  

  I come back and step behind him before appearing on the other side. "Isn't that a good thing?"

  "Sometimes." He shrugs. "Though other times, like when we go on expeditions I think that it may be better to suppress your emotions and optimism."