Unreciprocated

"So, Kudo, there wasn't much that I could find. I'm pretty sure Amora was the one that did it but her alibi was pretty solid," Hattori spoke over the phone, "she was eating dinner at the reception hall with the school. She happens to be a principal of Moriarty Academy. Cisson was already in his suite that time."

"Oh yeah, yesterday, I can hear her distinctly talk over on the phone. She said of an auction..." Conan trailed off and Heiji gasped over the phone.

"Then that means-!"

"Yes," Conan finished his sentence, "she's likely planning to take the money for herself. The inheritance too, perhaps. The only issue is that this crime is spun off with greed and envy. Typical human impulsiveness. I don't see the link to the Black Organisation and how they benefit from it."

"Well said," his Osaka friend replied, "then I'll just investigate while you keep an eye on Amora and that girl of yours."

"Girl of mine?"

"I meant that half-Japanese girl, she might be in danger."

"I know," Conan said blandly, raising his head to the moonlight "I promised to protect her. Even if it meant risking my life, I'd keep her safe."

"Kudo, the more you deny, it'll just backfire on you," Heiji chuckled, before he ended the conversation.

"What? Hattori!"

Damn that guy. Hanging up on me like that. What did he mean anyway? Well, whatever. I wonder how Haibara is doing.

Conan headed to her room with a soft smile absent-mindedly plastered on his face. His heart thudding against his rib bones excitedly, an overwhelming euphoria to actually see her.

But wait, don't we live in the same roof? So what's up with this notion?

Cautiously, he knocked on the door. There was no answer.

That's odd. I could hear inaudible noises in the room. I doubt she's asleep.

"Haibara, I'm coming in. Haibara how are you-"

"Okay, yeah sure. Take care Tsuburaya-kun," she said as she put down the telephone back to the receiver. Conan froze with his eyes wide open.

Since when did Mitsuhiko and Haibara have chats over the phone?

Whatever it was, he disliked the strange contempt and sadness that was churning in his stomach. Seems like the green snake of jealousy had bitten him and the venom was taking over his immune system.

That's stupid. Mitsuhiko may like Haibara, but Haibara will never fall for a boy 10 years younger.

"I didn't say you could come in, pervert," she commented with her arms folded, "what if I was changing?"

An immediate figment of imagination of a clothes-less Ai sparked in Conan's brain. He must admit, watching Ai grew into a fine physically 15-year-old girl warmed his heart. True that they weren't childhood friends as Shinichi, but indeed, the curvature of Ai's figure was getting prominent thanks to having undergone puberty. He can't help thinking in about a few years time, Ai would be really...gorgeous. Just like how he had admired her beauty the first time he saw her as Shiho during Pisco's case at the Hotel, but was too occupied with the job of saving her to appreciate her wholeness. He only realized it when he saw Sonoko once changed her hairdo similar to Ai's and a flash of Shiho Miyano appeared, rendering him speechless. He liked how the snowflakes fell on her auburn hair, the whiteness of the snow giving a contrast of the unique colour of her hair that made her glow during Pisco's case. He remembered that she wore nothing but an old and loose janitor's suit, in which he protected her modesty by covering her with his jacket. Regardless, Ai was beautiful, especially in her adult form. She was already stunning in the worn-out janitor's suit, she didn't need revealing clothing like Sonoko to actually grab the eyes of everyone around her.