t h i r t y - t h r e e

It had been three months since Cameron's departure to Australia for his Calvin Klein modeling opportunity. He had promised we'd talk often, but his definition of often must've been a little different from mine. He called once maybe every two weeks, and it was rare to see a text on my phone from him.

I tried to be understanding of him, considering this opportunity was something I knew would consume most of his time. But I'd never expected it to take him completely away from me.

Alex asked about him constantly. Cameron never called or texted him, which worried Alex, but I reassured him that he was probably just busy. Alex's physical therapy was going great. He was at home now, and was able to do most of everything on his own. Life seemed to be going back to normal, except for the fact that one thing was missing.

Cameron. 

I had wanted him to take this opportunity. It meant a lot to him, and he deserved some good in his life. I just missed him ever so dearly.

I sat on the couch in the apartment alone. The tv was off, and the only sound that was audible came from the ceiling fan above my head. My sister, who I had not known about, didn't seem to come around much ever since Cameron left, and Alex was at his daily therapy appointment.

He wouldn't be home for another hour. I glanced over at my phone that laid face down on the coffee table, waiting for it to ring. It was almost 4 p.m., the time at which Cameron normally called.

It made me anxious waiting for his call every two weeks. The thought of being let down hurt, but the call from him hurt even worse. I stared at my phone once again.

The screen lit up, and Cameron's picture was plastered on it. I quickly grabbed the phone not even giving it time to ring again.

"Cameron." I said, awaiting to hear his voice.

"Who is this?" A voice answered on the other line. But it wasn't Cameron's. It was feminine and light.

"It's his bestfriend, Mackenzie." I said feeling slightly embarrassed. He hadn't told me he'd found someone, but then again I didn't know this girl, maybe she just picked his phone up being nosy.

"Well I just wanna know who you are and why you're in his phone?" The girls voice raised, and I could feel it like a threat.

"He's my best friend." I replied.

"Well he's my boyfriend, and I f you were he would've mentioned you." Her voice pierced through my heart. He hadn't talked about me. He hadn't even mentioned my name to a girl who seemed to be protective of him. I heard some rustling and then a new voice came through the line.

"Mack." I recognized Cameron's scratchy voice, and I smiled, but then realized what had just been said to me.

"You have a girlfriend?" I asked biting my lip. I wasn't jealous of him having a girlfriend. I was jealous that she was getting all of him, and Alex and I were getting none.

"About that.." He said his voice lowering.

"How could you not tell me Cameron? How could you not even mention me to her? Am I not important to you?" My tone changed, and although I hadn't meant for it to, I was partially glad it had.

"Mack. I.. You are important to me you know that." He said trying to defend himself. But I wasn't buying it.

"Really Cameron? Because the promise you made me at the airport, about us? What happened? You never call. You never text. Your brother thinks you don't wanna talk to him, and quite frankly, so do I. So no, I don't feel important to you at all Cameron." I stood with the phone up to my ear, my cheeks blaring with heat. I waited for him to answer, but I only heard a girl yelling at him, and then he sighed.

"Mack I was going to tell you, I've just been so busy."

"Busy?" I asked laughing. "You mean busy fucking your girlfriend right?"
I covered my mouth at my own thought that had came out of my mouth. I immediately felt bad, but I wasn't about to apologize to him.

"Just come back to bed baby." I heard the girls voice in the background say. I rolled my eyes, and if they could've been rolled any farther or harder, they probably would've been stuck in the back of my head. He didn't answer.

"Yeah, why don't you "go back to bed baby", your girlfriend wants you." My attitude had increased. I was so agitated with the thought of the girl. If she treated me that way, how was she truly treating him?

"Mack." He pleaded.

"Cam cam." The girl called.

"Seriously? She's using my nickname too?" I scoffed. He'd basically given all of himself to her, something I never got to have, something I'll never have. I loved Alex, and I was happy with him. I was unhappy with this girl that Cameron had chosen to put into his life.

"Mackenzie." He said his time harder than before. "I wanted to tell you, but I knew you'd react like this."

"React like what? Like I cared? About you? Like I cared that youd call? Did you really think I wouldn't notice if you didn't talk to me? Cameron how stupid do you think I am?" I was infuriated. I just wanted my best friend to act like he was my best friend. Not pretend like he hadn't known me for so long.

"I didn't say you were stupid baby." Baby? Did he just Call me baby? He cleared his throat, before speaking again. I couldn't tell if he was talking to his girlfriend, or me, but from the way it sounded, it sounded towards me.

"I didn't mean to call you that.." He said Was speaking to me. "I have to go."

"Of course you do." I said quietly. He sighed again, before saying something to the girl who was with him.

"I love you Mack." He said before hanging up. I couldn't say it to him. I couldn't. I felt the words rolling off of my lips, but stopped when I heard the beeping of his line hanging up.