f o r t y

"Mack.." Cameron breathed as I stood in between the two of them. Alex stood across from me, anger in his eyes.

"What?" I asked. "I love you Cameron. I've always loved you. Yes, Alex was there when you weren't, but he could never replace you."

"She's right Cameron." I turned to face Alex. His expression changed into a soft face. The anger had seemed to had left his body.

"I don't want you to be hurt the same way I was.." He told Alex.

"I'm not going to be. If this is truly what she wants then I'm happy for her." Alex reassured Cameron with a smile. I walked over to Alex and hugged him.

"Thank you, thank you." I repeated.

"But this is it Mack. No more of us together. No more dating between us.. Okay?" His eyes turned sad again. I could tell he was doing this to save himself from heartache. I cringed a little, at the fact that I cause both of them so much pain.

I nodded to his statement and hugged him once more before jumping into Cameron's arms. He spun me around, and then set me back down.

"Can we all go do something together? Like get food?" I asked hoping to break the awkward silence that had fallen. Alex smiled and Cameron nodded. We all piled into the car, headed towards whatever Alex picked.

"So when is Sierra due?" Alex asked looking to Cameron.

"She's supposed to have the baby on the 16th of this month, but she can go any day now." Cameron smiled. I could see the joy of getting a niece or nephew all over his face. He would make a great dad someday, I was sure of it.

"Are you excited?" I asked. Cameron stated back to me with the widest eyes. The huge smile was still plastered across his face.

"Yes of course I am! What kind of question is that?" He asked sarcastically. I didn't have to ask his face said it all.

"Hey Mack, your sister called, she wants to join us for lunch is that alright?" Alex glanced back at me through the rearview mirror. I nodded, and he looked back down at his phone to reply to her. I didn't approve of the whole texting ordeal while driving, but we were stopped at a red light so I kept my lips sealed. The light turned and Alex set the phone down to concentrate on the road again.

I knew we had arrived to the diner when I seen my sisters small car in a parking spot. She stepped out and ran around the car to hug Cameron. She kissed his cheek, and I felt mine go red. Cameron noticed my face filling with anger and politely shoved her off of him. She greeted Alex with a less friendlier hug, and we all walked inside to sit down. I sat on the inside booth beside Cameron, making sure that Madeline would be seated near Alex.

"So Cameron, you're back early from Australia?" Madeline said pushing her hair behind her ears.

"Yeah, I had a few complications, but I came home and everything worked out." Cameron said. He smiled and reached under the table, found my hand and gave it a squeeze.

"So what about that date you promised?" She asked twirling a small piece of her hair in her hand. Cameron chuckled.

"Well, I'm kinda dating someone right now." He replied.

"Really who's the lucky girl?" Made lines eyebrows raised and she seemed shocked. Cameron leaned over and kissed my cheek.

"This is her." He said a grin spreading across his face. Madeleine's face immediately changed. Her tone was lighter, and she seemed taken aback by the fact that Cameron and I were a thing now.