Fate's Choice

"What's the status on Hiroki?" asked Koenma. He came to the temple maybe a week after San had woken up. It took a while, but slowly, the others were filtering back and staying put. They wanted a head count before they decided to mount another attack. San, Hiei, Yusuke, Kuwabara, Genkai, Kurama, and of course, Koenma, were meeting in the dojo. The other demons had gone off to do some damage control.

In the past few days, the rain was causing some serious devastation to the city. It was more than the humans could handle, so the other demons were sent out to help with it. The old team had some bang ups and bruises, but they were ready for another fight with the creature that threatened their lives. San had been eyeing Koenma since he arrived, and she noted that he avoided her tawny gaze. He must know what was going on, or else he wouldn't be this keen on not looking at her.

"He's been terrorizing the humans in the city. He can spawn demons with the blink of an eye," said Genkai.

"That's not all," began Kurama, "The power her uses, it's like nothing I've ever seen before. He could easily wipe us out with little to no effort."

"It's not time to give up hope!" said Kuwabara.

"Facing reality and giving up hope are two different things," said San.

"We've faced sacred energy. I'm sure we can take down this punk," said Yusuke.

"You really don't get it do you?" said Genkai, looking at her successor, "He nearly wiped you out with just a small fraction of his power. He could have killed you, but instead he warned you by pushing you away."

"So what do you want us to do? Give up?"

"No, simply find a way to take away his power."

"How the hell are we supposed to do that?" asked Kuwabara.

Everyone was silent then. No one knew the answer, knew anything about him to really figure it out. San sighed lightly, her mate looking in deep thought. Yusuke and Kuwabara simply looked pissed off. The dire situation had no light to it, and finding a way to solve it really seemed impossible. San had the answer, but she didn't want to share that particular information.

"It appears there is not much more we can do tonight. If we get more information, we shall reconvene to discuss our options," said Kurama, grabbing San's hand and leaving the room. She wished he hadn't done that, she wanted a chance to speak with Koenma. The rain could be heard along the temple, and her mate led them back to her room.

He turned to face her then, his eyes serious. San was actually scared of what he was going to say. She knew it had to be something, or else he wouldn't have abruptly taken them out of there so fast. She tried searching his eyes for an answer, but he wasn't going to give it to her just yet. He held her gaze, and she began to feel nervous.

"What do you know, San?" he asked then.

She frowned, "What do you mean?"

"You've been staring at Koenma all day. I know you have something on your mind, something you have not bothered to discuss with me. I've asked you not to keep things from me, San. So tell me, what do you know?"

She stood her ground, but had no idea what to say to him. She had to think of something, and fast, "I don't know what you're talking about. I've been staring at Koenma to see if he was keeping information from us again. He did it when we battled Sensui, and I don't things to go that way again."

Kurama kept his stare on her. She knew that he was searching for the truth, and she had to keep it from him, as much as she hated to do it. She couldn't tell him anything before she knew for sure what she suspected. Finally, he nodded, pulling her towards him. They sat like that for a while, San doing whatever she could to keep the tears away. If she started crying then, he would know she was lying, and she couldn't have that.