Saying Farewell

The sky was blue, and the sun was rising. It created the most perfect scenery. But none of them cared about that at the moment. They had just watched the most powerful struggle, and now were wondering what had happened to the two demons that fought high overhead of them. The power that came from them was like nothing any of them had ever seen before. It took a few moments to realize what had happened when it was all over, but all the wonder was finally gone.

Kurama stared at the spot in the sky he had watched his mate do battle with Hiroki. They both weren't there, but he had no idea where they could have gone. He was in such utter shock, he couldn't find his feet to go move. The reason he was like that, he couldn't feel his mate whatsoever. Not a single force of her life energy could be felt, and it made his heart heavy, his body full of chills. He had never noticed how much of her energy resided within him, until he couldn't feel it. He didn't want to believe it, but what choice did he have? It was the exact same feeling he had when Genkai had passed. He couldn't feel the force of his mate anywhere, and he didn't want to find out if his suspicions were correct.

"Did... did we finally win?" asked Kuwabara, looking around at the others.

"I... think so," said Yusuke unsure of himself.

"San gave everything she had. If Hiroki isn't here still it's safe to confirm that he really is beaten," said Koenma.

"Hn. I don't trust it," said Hiei.

Kurama ignored all of them, finally able to take a step. He walked, her scent fresh in his nostrils. He had to find her, had to make sure she was alright. But as he took each step closer, he knew he was only getting closer and closer to the truth he didn't want to confirm. He didn't know what happened to the others, but he had to find San, and had to do it now.

The forest floor was covered in rain, but the clearing was made from the force of such power. The radius was huge, farther than the eye could see. The sun was rising higher and higher, but still, there was no San in sight. She wasn't far, that much he knew. He could still smell her, and she didn't smell dead. So why was it that he couldn't feel her at all? He heard something in the distance. It was the sound of a long and sorrowful howl. He narrowed his green orbs in thought. It was strange for a wolf to be out this early, and that howl didn't come from the same direction of his mate. It had to have been the wild wolves in the forest near the temple, but why would they be up this early?

He pressed on, trying not to analyze what the wolves were trying to tell him. He knew that the train of thinking that would come from it all would just be what he suspected had happened. He was getting closer, he knew that. He could hear someone trailing behind him, but he didn't care. It didn't feel hostile, so he completely ignored it. He could see the shine of her sun touched hair in the distance. Only a little closer. He dropped to his knees, taking her head into his lap. She was cold, oh so cold, her skin pale.

"San..." his vision blurred with the tears that threatened to fall. He shook her a little, "Koi... wake up..." He knew it was useless. She remained completely unresponsive. He hugged her cold corpse tightly, the tears falling freely. She was dead, sacrificed herself to save the world. And yet, he didn't care about the rest of the world. If she was alive and they all died, the hell with it. So long as she was safe in his arms...

He felt a hand on his shoulder, and could smell Yusuke, "I'm sorry..." he trailed. This boy was close to his mate, that Kurama knew. He knew that Yusuke would feel sorrow for her as well.

"Is she...?" Kurama could hear Kuwabara, "No... not San..."

Kurama's eyes were kept shut, the tears falling onto her sun touched hair. He could only see her, the human and the demon, the smiling face and the warmth she offered. He could smell her, feel her soft skin. He was mating with her, holding her close and never letting go. But it all came to an end when he opened his eyes and the still form of her was in his arms. She was gone, for good this time. Those gorgeous tawny eyes were locked away with her, and he knew that he would never see them again.