Departure

The whole camp was packing up the next day. I helped Dale lock everything up in the RV so nothing would fly around when he was driving. I was locking one of the cabinets when someone screamed from outside. I grabbed my bow of the bench seat and leaned against the door of the RV.
"Walkers."
I pushed open the door and started firing. Daryl ran by the RV and tossed me a gun. I stumbled out of the RV and stood against the side. I grabbed Carl and shot the walker behind him.
"Get in the RV!"
"But my mom!"
"She'll be fine I promise. Now get in the RV."
I closed the door after him and shot another walker. The whole camp was in chaos. Carol and Sophia were hiding behind a tree when a walker walked up on them. I shot it in the head, but it was a little too close for comfort. I whistled them over and got them into the RV. Rick and Lori were off to the side shooting. Two walkers walked towards me going a bit faster than the others. When I tried to fire it was empty. I hit one of them with the gun and it hit the side of the RV. Before I could hit the other one an arrow pinned it against the side of the RV. I caught Daryl's eye and nodded.

I sat against one of the logs as we went over the casualties. Amy and Ed were the first to go. Jim was bit, but he had some time left. Daryl wanted him dead right now and I didn't blame him. Jim should be left here or killed. He's better off dead.
"So what now?"
"The CDC night still be running."
"They have to be. If the building is still there it's still running."
"Why?"
I sat up and cleared my throat.
"The CDC has samples of some of the most deadliest diseases out there. Small pox, the plague, the list goes on. If the power is cut off from the building the building blows."
They all looked around at each other as if deciding on something. Rick was the one to finally speak up.
"What if we go and it blows while we're there."
"Then we die. It's a chance we make everyday when we wake up. I'm up for anything."
"We go."
I nodded and Daryl helped me off the ground.
"I'm going to ride in my truck. I don't want you know who to eat my face whenever things go south."
He picked me up and carried me to the truck. The group slowly made their way to the vehicles. Daryl got in and handed me a pillow.
"This shit keep getting better and better."
"At least you've got me. Though I'm not much use at the moment."
He tried not to smile and pulled out of camp. I was almost sorry to see it go. Their people had quite the set up.
I laid across the empty seats and tried to sleep. The less time I spent awake. The less time I spent in pain.