11. THE ABYSS (part 3)

***

Thanks to Nomarr's potion, Nela was able to pass through the glass without triggering the alarm spell. Crouching behind a thick velvet curtain which hid the enchanted portion of the window so well, the cat listened. Somewhere deep inside the house, three people were talking. Sticking her nose between the curtains, Nela almost sneezed – it seemed like they had absorbed the dust of all Enhiarg's epochs!

Something stirred near the opposite wall. A mouse. No, a rat. The sated, contented brute wasn't even hiding, but lounging behind the leg of a dresser like a matron by a fountain. Beside it on the floor lay a piece of something edible yet unrecognizably dusty. Judging by the collar, the rat was someone's pet. And that meant she had a problem. Many creatures liked digging in the memory of their pets in their leisure time – it was just so relaxing! Either Enbri or his girlfriend could easily belong to this camp. The cat contemplated her dilemma: she could possibly pass the rat undetected, but Nela did not want to leave the sharp-eyed rodent in her rear.

Hopping down to the floor without a sound, Nela snuck under the dresser. She coiled like a spring, ready to pounce. The moment the rat turned its head, the cat sprung forward and seized the prey in her claws. Her sharp fangs closed on the victim's neck and in a split second the rat surrendered its soul to the Infinite without as much as a peep.

Clenching the bristly scruff in her teeth, Nela dragged the rat to the wall. She would come back here on the way back to remove the evidence, then discard it somewhere down the road. Grimacing squeamishly, she followed the voices.

Enbri had guests. In the kitchen, sitting around a large table set with decorative candles, was his brother Orin and Lady Domera, his latest flame. Waiting for the right moment, Nela slipped under the sofa and took to eavesdropping.

"Stay a while. You've done a lot today," Enbri said tenderly, apparently taking something from Domera. "You wanted to listen to the recording. Have a listen and just relax."

"I can only express my admiration once again for the work your subordinates have done, Patriarch," said Orin. His voice sounded somehow flat – Domera must have already started the recording. "It's just a shame that the tragedy in Cahnerali happened before their work was completed. Many casualties could have been avoided..."

"Yes. Could have. Alas, developing a system of defense against telepathic meddling is a long and arduous process. Especially when one does not fully understand what exactly one is up against," said another voice. (Nela's eyes bulged in amazement – it was the voice of Patriarch Selorn!) "Veindor's interference kept Inaan's telepaths from sniffing everything out thoroughly, and that made our task much more complicated."

"But not impossible," Enbri's brother countered obsequiously. "It's gratifying to know that the citizens of Naeria finally have something with which to oppose the charms of this manipulating Cahneralian provocateur!"

"No. They have nothing with which to oppose his charms," Selorn cut him short. "The Council will flush our plan down the latrine."

"What?"

"No one will ever see the fruits of our plan."

"Why not?"

"Amer, that Rualite snake, intends to... veto our project. He believes the time has come for revenge. That we need to wait for all of Enhiarg to come crawling to us for help, and only then show mercy. Alasais' Fangs! How can I explain to that imbecile that if we don't act today, tomorrow there likely won't be anyone left to crawl!"

There was a silence. Nela twitched her ears in suspense.

"I... can I do anything to help?" Orin said finally.