APPENDIX 2: MERCURION'S DRAGONS (part 1)

Who would have thought that under these foul

scales, there was actually a heart of gold!

Yarnol, a dragon slayer from Dirhdaar, after reading the diary

of a Mercurion's dragon he'd killed due to a misunderstanding

Windstarter

As the article's title suggests, the creator of these creatures was a Nae by the moniker of Mercurion, meaning Changeable. In Enhiarg, he's also known as Lord of Wind, although his sphere of influence is actually much larger than just controlling gusts of air. Mercurion commands Space. He's the one to curse at should you find that your bottomless sack malfunctioned and turned the head of a defeated enemy plus a set of magic wands you've been storing in it into something resembling a freakish set of bagpipes. Or when a portal hurls you into quicksand in Preen instead of an hourglass shop in Anlimor. The buck stops with him.

The "children" of Mercurion inherited many talents from their "papa." They can easily pass through enchanted walls, hop from world to world like fleas from hop from dog to dog, open and close portals without apparent use of sorcery, and achieve flight speeds that would rip any other type of being to shreds. They also command the extremely unpleasant ability to create interference that prevents other creatures from moving from place to place by magic.

An impressive list, isn't it? Our heroes would make wonderful thieves, spies, contract killers or even raiders... if it weren't for one little hiccup—Mercurion's dragons are the quintessential "do-gooders."

Sparrows in Armor

Looking at these huge, imposing lizards, it's hard to imagine just how much a Mercurion's dragon's nature differs from his threatening appearance. In Enhiarg, they're known as "sparrows in armor" for a reason. For the most part, they're unpretentious, carefree and cheerful as little spring-time birdies. Definitely no killing and raiding here...

Thanks to their sincerity, good will, unselfish nature and indefatigable optimism, the children of Mercurion are in a respectable third place in all of Enhiarg's ratings for most wanted neighbors, after Alae and Adoreans.

Of course, dragons have their faults, too. They can be erratic in their judgments, impetuous, absent-minded, wasteful and impractical; some individuals suffer from retarded emotional capacity, while others, on the contrary, are hot-tempered. But the main drawback of dragons—which is, indeed, their main advantage as well—is their furious, downright maniacal love of freedom.

Live Free or Die!

Mercurion's dragons don't brood over stacks of diamonds or burn cities to the ground, or even scorch noble knights, although it would difficult to find a single one who has never kidnapped a young maiden, whether someone's betrothed or a newly ordained priestess. Princesses, merchants and peasants, pretty and plain alike—it's all the same to them. Just as long as the girl was being forced into taking her vow.

Dragons can't bear the sight of others (or their own kind, naturally) being deprived of their freedom. So, if you're under threat of being joined with some kind of stinking toad (male or female), send word to their consulate. They'll fly right over, scare the living daylights out of everyone, and won't leave until you're firmly on your feet in your new, independent life. Dragons work with a great variety of charitable institutions which aim to help victims of any type of violence. In particular, they manage the well-known organization Break the Collar, which helps former slaves start a new life.

Slavery in general is one of the dragons' hot topics. They show no mercy for slavers. Indeed, our "sparrows" can peck quite fiercely when the situation calls for it...

Besides slaves and victims of others' religious or matrimonial plans, they harbor all kinds of dissidents and religious reformers under their powerful wings, who have been sentenced to death for their "subversive actions." For example, if some folks in Rapa are aiming to execute a scribe for polluting the nighttime streets with copies of vulgar verses on the passionate romance between the king and his domestic farzis, you can bet your tail the dragons will make an appearance. "They'll come down from heaven and snatch the scoundrel right from the jaws of Veindor." The performance is aborted, the king is indignant, the peasantry is in chaos, but that's the risk you take in engaging the children of Mercurion. It'll probably do more harm than good. Which is why no one bothers.

Some of the honorable lizards have found a way to satisfy their penchant for saving freethinkers in a perfectly legal (and very lucrative) way. Thanks to their unfailing incorruptibility, as well as their ability to stick their noses into any secret office or torture chamber, Mercurion's dragons make up the core of a body of enforcers of Ellis' Note. Take heed, ye tyrants and oppressors!

They also defend their own personal freedom with no less fervor. In communicating with anyone who tries to impose their own views on them, dragons disregard manners. If their opponent continues to pressure them, they may become aggressive. Masters of emotional intimidation and similar manipulators are eaten on the spot.

Dragons will never tolerate anything even vaguely resembling coercion. It doesn't matter if this is done with high-minded intentions or wicked. They do not tolerate it, period. Everyone in Enhiarg remembers this. Even Tialianna, Mistress of Pathmaking, doesn't assign Paths to dragons. In fact, even if she were to do it, the dragon would more likely head in the opposite direction just to prove a point.

What Purpose Do They Serve in the Infinite?

Mercurion and his children do not play a significant role "in that whole mess with the Paths," but that doesn't mean the Infinite doesn't have a special job in mind for them. Because he does. And what a job it is! The Lord of Wind and his closest companions look after the integrity of the fabric of the Infinite—they make sure sloppy world creators and spacial mages lacking boundaries don't "bring the universe down on their own heads." Literally.

Description

It's very hard to describe what Mercurion's children look like in dragon form, because modern dragons are for the most part passionate lovers of body modification. They enhance their spikes, implant horns, grow tentacle-mustaches and scales of the most bizarre patterns, and change the color of their armor. Some acquire extra legs and others change the contours of their torso, or the size, structure and texture of their wings. They add additional segments, make the membranes translucent, partially cover them with feathers, tattoos, fur... just about anything you can think of.

Far from all of these modifications are cosmetic in nature. For example, after reading adventure novels about the heroes of old, many dragons were indignant that Mercurion did not give them the ability to exhale anything more dangerous than carbon dioxide—no streams of flame, acid, or clouds of icy fog. How embarassing! Body manufacturers have helped to remedy this blatant injustice...

Describing our heroes in bipedal form is much easier. In it dragons are typically very tall, thin humanoids with sharp, even menacing, features. Most creatures find their appearance scary at first, but their kind, easy-going temper, evident in their facial expressions, speech and mannerisms, quickly nullifies any bad impressions. Their movements are quick and precise, and young dragons stand out because of their amusing clumsiness. If desired, children of the Lord of Wind can leave a smaller copy of their wings on their backs, but they rarely do. The membranes are constantly knocking over things fragile and breakable.

There are two distinct periods in the history of Mercurion's dragons: the cave period, which took place before the creation of Wings of Sunset, and the civilized period.

_____________

Illustration by Olga 'griffinfly' Drebas.