Chapter 55.

55. The End.

The explosion when the bomb dropped was tremendous. Everything was destroyed; any remaining wildlife, buildings, trees, even grass. There was no remaining trace of Dekka 1 or 2. Their remaining ammunition added to the force of the blast. The bodies were all incinerated, leaving no trace that they were ever there.

At base the mission was regarded as a great success. No one mourned the passing of the Dekkas. There were already five more trained and ready to take their place.

Marcus and the other grey suits he worked with were assigned new recruits. As the most handsome one, Marcus got the pick of the female intake. His new recruit was smaller than Dekka 2 had been. Prettier too, he thought as he reached down to touch her cheek. He was glad to be working with the khaki suits again. It was so much more interesting than being stuck in the lab for weeks on end.

The second intake of khaki suits were well into their training. Five of them had made it this far. They did not realise it but they were now about to enter the stage of their training where their thresholds of pain and endurance would be increased, if they did not succumb to the torture. There would be no one else alive who would be able to match their tolerance. They would survive their training with super human qualities or would die in the process.

Sir was busy meeting with his superiors for discussions on the next Dekka assignment and how best to proceed with their training. He was still being congratulated on the success of the last assignment, where the threat of the previously unknown and untreatable virus had been eradicated. The first batch of Dekkas had performed the duties they had been given. They had done well. He had done well. There was a good chance that he would be promoted out of uniform if another couple of assignments were as successful.

The rest of the world was not greatly interested in such a small and insignificant island. People were quite happy to accept the accounts of an underwater volcano, previously undiscovered, erupting with such violence that it destroyed the whole place. No questions were asked, no investigations held.

Nobody noticed the small boat that escaped from the island before the bombing. Nobody noticed the two survivors make it safely to the next island before becoming sick. This island was bigger with more people moving to and from other islands. By the time the virus was detected again it had spread throughout the whole area and there was no way of telling if its spread would ever be able to be contained.

DEKKA

Deployable, Expendable. K(c)ontrolled Killing Army.