Chapter 14

I come upon the battle as Sakura is healing Naruto nearby and a majority of the Shinobi Alliance are carrying out some plan against the Ten-Tails. I head toward Shikamaru and the others and join the rest of the Konoha ninja that I grew up with, minus one or two, and join the battle once the Ten-Tails is unable to escape. Clones of the Ten-Tails appear and we focus on trying to take them down. While I attack the creatures I watch in awe as Ino, Shikamaru, and Choji attack together like they'd done all their lives. With the other shinobi able to cover their own issues I make my way over to the Kage. I find Gaara instantly and his eyes pass over my body looking for injury, they lock onto my shirt then up to my eyes.
"You died again?" He asks, sounding panicked.
"I had Sasuke do it on purpose. I needed to unlock the final power. I know how to stop the war or atleast slow it down enough to tip the favor on our side. I didn't want things to end this way but I know my role in this life. I may not come back from this but I'd rather die helping everyone than live to see everything crumble." I trail off as a lump grows in my throat. "I've made peace with everything. I got to see Haku and Zabuza and Itachi. There's just one thing I'd like to do before I go. If I don't make it back, I owe you this..."
I lean in close to him and kiss him. His arms wrap around me and pulls me closer to him. When I pull away he looks at me confused.
"I thought you deserved a kiss while I was sober. I didn't want it to be a farewell kiss either, but it's how it's turned out. I love you Gaara. If I don't come back, just remember that."
"I love you too Kaida. Don't do whatever it is you're thinking of doing. I don't want to lose you."
I keep my gaze locked on his though it hurts to see the pain in his eyes.
"I have to do this. Besides, this isn't forever. We'll meet again someday. Just don't let anyone bury or burn me for a while just in case I come back, alright?"
Before he can respond I hug him tightly then run back into the battle, shouting for everyone to move away. The shinobi look at me strangely but Orochimaru, who seems to be helping us, agrees and everyone steps away, leaving me face to face with Madara and Obito who's become the Ten-Tails' jinchuriki. The men turn to me and laugh, wondering what a girl like me could do. I smirk in response and lift my hands to attack as a voice draws my attention. It's Shikamaru running up to me.
"What are you doing? You can't take them on by yourself!"
"I know a way to atleast tip the fight in our favor. If it doesn't kill anyone it will atleast injure them and give you all time to attack. After I'm done, send everyone in full force, alright? Win this war for me."
"What are you talking about? You're going to be here." He looks so panicked and confused.
"Shikamaru there's a chance I won't be coming back from this, but please trust me and let this happen. You're my best friend and I'll always love you that way. If I don't come back, it's not forever. Take care of Temari and name a kid after me, alright? Now get to safety."
I hug him and he tries to pull me away from the men and I refuse, eventually leading to Gaara's sand tearing him away as he fights against it. In the distance I can hear Ino crying.
"Now, Gentlemen. Where were we? Oh, right."
I lift my hands and focus all of my chakra toward my chest while summoning each of the elements in order: Sound, Earth, Water, Fire, Air, and lastly Spirit. The ball of energy in my hand has merged from a rainbow of colors into a glowing pure white ball. I push the ball into my chest directly over my heart, then push the chakra outward. My vision fades away, replaced by the same blinding white light from when I was in the Akatsuki. Pain courses through my body and my mouth opens to let out the piercing scream I'd been trying to hold back. My lungs are burning and I can't breathe through the pain. Then everything is gone.