Caput Primum (Chapter One)

Skia Angelos (Age 7)

I ran away from that place. It was being burnt to the ground at the moment.

What am I talking about? Well, I'm talking about my home, the orphanage. All my friends and family were dead. My adoptive mother and father were dead as well.

I ran into the dark forest. I've always felt comfort in the shadows. I don't know why.

Seeing a light up ahead, I ran faster. Hopefully, someone can help me.

Once I got close enough to see what the light was, I slowed down. All it was, was an old temple.

I sighed and hurried to it. At least I found somewhere to stay for the night.

As I walked closer, I saw the inside. There was a statue of a goddess (I assume) holding upside-down torches in the middle. The statue had three faces, one looking to the left, one staring straight ahead, and one looking to the right. Torches were hung on the walls and gave off a green glow, not on fire with normal fire, but with green fire.

I walked inside and saw a woman with brown hair and green eyes. She was wearing a Greek chitin with a dark blue belt and was holding the same torches as the statue, but right-side-up.

The woman smiled. "Hello, little one. I am Hecate, the goddess of magic and crossroads."

I frowned. What was a Greek goddess doing here?

"I'm Skia Angelos." I said, my voice a monotone. I've learned to keep control of my emotions when near people I don't know.

"I'm guessing you have heard of the Greek gods?" Hecate asked.

"I have." I replied.

She nodded. "Good. I wish to bless you. You will be able to do magic, see a portion of someone's future, and control the Mist. Do you accept?"

I pursed my lips, running over the possibilities of what could happen.

"I accept." I finally said.

Hecate smiled and I felt stronger. Cool.

"Now, I also wish to give you a gift. It's a bracelet that will turn into your weapon of choice." Hecate brought out a bracelet with charms of many weapons. There was a charm of a sword, a spear, a shield, a dagger, a knife, a bow, an axe, dual swords, and dual daggers.

"Cool." I said, staring at it.

She walked toward me, her torches disappearing. She knelt and put the bracelet on my wrist.

I hugged Hecate, startling her. "Thank you."

She hugged back softly. "Of course. I am sorry I cannot help you any farther. But, I can flash you to New York where you can find a place to stay. If I were to help any more, Zeus would throw me into Tartarus and kill you."

I nodded and pulled away. "Alright. Thank you, Hecate."

She smiled. "Goodbye, Skia."

I was teleported away to New York. Once I arrived, I looked around. I was in the ruins of an old home.

I knew right then and there that I would have to live alone for the rest of my life. And I was okay with it.