thirty seven.

don't get excited or anything. i just don't want to lose this if i break the flashdrive again.

____________________________________________

"My God I missed you," I whisper into his neck.

When we finally pull apart, he holds me at arms length with a proud smile. "I brought someone with me. I hope that's okay, baby?" Justin looks so unsure of himself and a I reassure him with a nod.

From behind him, a green haired boy emerges. He's small, but confident; curious, but not unaware. He's got a beautiful smile.

"He wanted to come say hello," Justin tells me, intertwining his fingers with mine. "Even heaven can get a little boring sometimes."

"Is this why you were gone for so long?"

He bites his lower lip. "Later, baby. Okay? Not in front of the kid."

"Excuse you," Zachary says his first words and his voice is warm and deep, not what I expected from someone with such brilliantly coloured hair. "But I'm the older one. So don't even."

I watch Justin shrink behind my shoulder in play.

"Hello Damian." He offers his hand to me and I take it. Surprisingly, mine does not pass through his. Both the boys are solid and warm.

"Is that normal? For me to be able to touch you?" I look to Justin for an answer but he just motions to Zachary.

"Depends on how strong we are. The whole being dead thing has a lot of rules. It's actually more complicated than being alive."

"I don't need to know."

"We'll save it for a later time."

We take our seats beneath an old oak tree, Zachary perched on a protruding root and I on Justin's lap. At any moment I expect myself to fall through to the ground, but right now I'm enjoying his solidity.

"To what do I owe this pleasure?" I ask, once settled into a comfortable position.

"Justin's told me all about you. He made you sound absolutely perfect, if I dare say so, and I just had to see for myself."

Justin nudges Zachary's foot with his ratty Converse.

"And." The green haired boy's eyes meet my own. "I wanted to thank you for taking care of my Timmy as best you could." He looks almost defeated and I know I've taken his job from him.

"You don't hold a grudge, do you? For what happened? I swear I didn't mean to let it happen."

"Of course not. There's no point in it. I side with Rachel-- you didn't force drugs down his throat."

"If he dies, won't you get to have him again?" I let out without realizing. The tensing in Justin's body and the look on Zachary's face make me regret it instantly. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean it. I'm just uncomfortable."

"As much as I would give almost anything up to have him with me, Timmy's life is something I wouldn't take from him. Nor anyone's life for that matter. We were not given the opportunity to visit the living to bring them back with us. We're here because we know how hard it is to say goodbye."

"You're very mature to have put up with someone so childlike," I state bluntly.

"Nice going. They're both going to hate you in no time at all."

"What's with you, Damian?" Justin cuts in. "You're so different now. Did something happen?"

I stare out into the rain before answering. I can't bear to look either of them in the eye. "Yeah. You left. And his boyfriend had to go and leave me too."