Chapter 10

"Oh wow.." I gasped when I woke up. My sleep was amazing. I've never felt better.

I looked at the clock and saw it read 4:21 AM. "Oh." I laughed to myself and went back to bed.

"Avery! Avery!!" I heard a shriek. I jumped out of bed and raced down the steps. Feelings, feelings. I thought.

"Tell me you're okay.." Riker was crying again. "Uhm- yes. What about- uhm- what about you?" My voice was raspy and a lot deeper than it usually is.

I felt horrible. Why was he always so broke a part now I've never seen my brother like this before. Ever.

"Avery.. I-" He held out something.

"I'm so sorry that I hid it from you..."

I opened up the paper and read it.

'Riker and Avery, you mean so much to me. I'm so sorry I had to go so soon. I'm sorry for the way I treated both of you. I'm sorry Riker that I wasn't there enough. And Avery.. Please get better. Remind me everyday that you're okay. I just wanna know that you'll be okay without me.

I love you both so much. Love, dad.'

"Riker.." I started to cry.

"Avery please I'm sorry. Don't cry please."

Again with the feelings. It's too hard for me to understand.

"Are you- are you gonna do the same thing he did." I hesitated after I asked. I said the wrong thing like usual.

"No. I mean, Avery I would but I know I can't leave you. I would never forgive myself."

I wonder if anyone saw us standing there crying if they'd question it. After some silence Riker continued.

"Would-" he stopped mid sentence.

My eyes grew wide as I started walking away.

"No no Avery I didn't mean it. I really, I'm sorry. Please."

"Yes." I whispered. And then I ran outside and sat on the front porch.

After a long time the door opened.

"You wouldn't do it would you?"

"I- I don't think so." I say looking away from his face.

He hands me the phone and walks back inside.

"Hello?" I ask hoarsely.

"Are you alright?" Harry.

--

(Harry's P.O.V)

"Are you alright?"

I always felt concerned for Avery. I mean she's so fragile. She won't connect with me as much as I wish she would but then again I should probably tell her more about myself.

She won't admit her background and I was begging to know. I wanna know why she's always so sad sometimes. Sad and confused and she just loves it when other people are happy.

I shouldn't think this much. I didn't wanna think of Avery that way but I couldn't stop myself. It was wrong knowing Niall was dating her but I couldn't help it.

"You- Do you want the truth."

"Yes."

"No."

"I'll be there in 2 minutes."

I hung up and jumped in the car. As I'm driving to her house I nervously check the speed limit.

My eye catches to the drug store, and it looks packed. I would never drink or smoke it's just, I don't know way too unhealthy for me.

I think I see someone getting punched in the face and pushed into their car.

I squinted a little more and quickly pulled into the parking lot.

It looked a heck of a lot like Riker.