9 - Moving On

When I wake up, I scream from pain. Someone was clutching my hand and I was screaming my head off.

I felt the metal leaving my leg. It was like a slow walk through hell. I looked and the sky and cried out.

The metal was finally gone and the screaming was over.. I was done screaming for now. I felt like death.

Bella had been holding my hand, and I turned my head to see Lucy sitting on a piece of the bus seat, her normal eyes staring at me. 

Olivia and Miranda were looking over me. Hunter had been pinning me down, and Ricko and Jone had been pulling the metal out. Kylia and Kyle were cleaning the wound now.

I bite my lip and Kyle leans over me and hands me the bottle of water. I sip it slowly and look over at him. He wasn't wearing his jacket anymore. Olivia sat me up and sipped the water hastily. I noticed the leather from Kyle's jacket, it was tightly wrapped around the wounds on both of my legs.

Everyone was silent as they stared at me.

"Janitor Brown is dead.." Bella says.

Everyone is silent, and Miranda had gasped at the news. I look towards the ground as we all sat there, not knowing what to do. We were a bunch of teenagers sitting on the side of the road during the zombie apocalypse for Heaven sakes. The man that saved us is dead.

I close my eyes tightly and gulp the last sip of water. I push from Kyle and start to stand. "Lara.." Miranda attempts to make me sit down, and Kyle forces me back.

"I'm fine..." I mumble lightly.

"If I can't walk.. I can't survive." I explain. Everyone is quiet. I look at Hunter, then Kyle.

"We aren't leaving you." Hunter says, looking directly into my eyes, I still can't make eye contact with him without getting embarrassed. "Yea. Can't leave smalls behind.." Lucy grumbles in a blunt voice, chewing a chocolate bar that she managed to scavenge from one of our bags.

"I'll carry you if I have to," Hunter says. Kyle looks at the ground.

"That'll work. I don't think we should stay here." Ricko says.

"There were walkers heading across the train track." A voice cuts in. Everyone turns their head to the voice. Jone. The blue Jone had spoken, he never spoke, rarely did he. Since he had spoken, we might have gotten good luck.

"Then we should go right?" Lucy says sarcastically.

"Yea... I and Rick'll search that van down there." Hunter says. Ricko agreeably nods, cracking his knuckles.

"Let's go." Hunter mumbles.

They leave the group, and Kyle stares at me. "You hungry? We saved some. Chips.." He says, taking the bag of chips from the backpack.

"Yea Lara you can have my soda," Kylia says offering me the Coke. "No thanks.." I whisper lightly, and Kylia nods, placing the coke back into the backpack.

"Before the bus flipped," Jone says, his raspy voice clearing.

We all listen to him.

"Janitor Brown was gonna take us to the safe house." He continues, everyone watching him.

"I think we should head to that safe home still." He said and everyone begins to talk at once.

"Right. But where is it?" Miranda asks.

Jone grabs his book bag and pulls out a map, I guess he was right back in school during career classes about how he wanted to be a traveler. "We should head towards Washington. Pay the White House a visit." He says, motioning his head to map, and I nod towards him.

"Then, take a boat." He says.

"Take a boat where?" I ask.

"Whoa whoa. We can't make it to the White House today or tomorrow. We need somewhere to stay for now. Besides. Lara is hurt." Kyle says, motioning to me. I blush, annoyed that I was slowing everyone down.

"Walmart." Miranda blurts.

"Sounds good." Jone approves, "And they have supplies." Miranda smiles, "You're really going with my plan?" She asks, and he nods. Miranda stares at the fire in awe. "Awesome beans!" She yells. I cringe and hear the sound of footsteps to see our friends had returned.

Ricko and Hunter run towards us, "We found a van."