CHAPTER ONE

I sigh as I look out my window for the last time, while I pack my things. I see the beautiful palm trees swaying slightly in the soft California breeze. A couple playing in the sand. Laughing. Running. I smile the boy picks up the girl, her dark hair whips around in the soft breeze as they spin around. He runs towards the ocean, the girl kicking and screaming as he places her in the water, spraying her with the cool waves. They laugh, and kiss as they wade in the water.

Love like this only happens in California. People playing in the waves, kissing in the water. I close my eyes and take in a deep breath, smelling the salty air. The scent of the ocean calms me, and I can hear the waves crashing along the shore. Seagulls chirping happily as they soar above the crisp, cool water.

I'm really going to miss this place. The ocean only two minutes away from my house, the seagulls always squawking. The constant sunshine giving warmth to the lively city. My friends, the pop culture and music. The wonderful buzz of the city. Different scents and sights. Tons of new faces. People always having somewhere to go, something to do. Never a dull moment.

Instead I was moving to Texas. Home of country music and the average farming country bumpkin. It wouldn't be so bad if we were moving to Dallas or Austin, a big city like the ones I was used to. But no. We had to move to a tiny unheard of city called Wimberly. Wimberly is so unknown, such a tiny little thing with with a population total of 2,582 people. Worse yet, Wimberly High School only has 672 students.

There's a knock at my door as my mom opens it. "Knock knock. You almost finished packing Maylee? The moving van is going to be here any minute." I quickly tape down the box after I finish putting the last of my clothes inside. "Yeah mom, can you help me take these boxes downstairs?" "Of course sweetie." Gratefully, I pick up the box, and walk out the door.

"So are you excited?" She asks, trying to encourage me. I'm pretty sure all of California knows I'm not excited to be leaving our home in San Francisco. "No, not really." I put the box down by the door and turn to go back upstairs and get another box.

My mom follows me, hopeful that I might like the move. "But you'll make tons of new friends, and it's so beautiful there! Our house we bought is huge, you'll have a nice big room and your own bathroom." She says cheerfully trying to bribe me with a large room and bathroom. I grab another box and look at her, rolling my eyes I say, "Mom, I don't want to move. I get it. Dad's getting a great job and all... I'm happy for him, I really am. But I don't see why we have to move to some hillbilly, hoedown throwdown, tiny little town. Why can't we move somewhere like Dallas or San Antonio?"

That does it. As soon as the words have left my mouth, I immediately regret saying them. My mother comes unglued and drops a box of my clothes. "Maylee Rose Friar! I can't believe you! This move could be the best thing that ever happened to you! Your father and I have tried to be nice, but now you're just making us mad. The universe does not revolve around you! If you don't change your attitude, you can say good bye to your phone." She looks at me very sternly, the look of disappointment and shame in me. "Yes mom." I say shyly. "Good." She says picking up the box again.
"Now, it looks like the moving van is here, let's go."

Twenty minutes later, were on our way to the airport. As I look out, I see the beautiful Pacific ocean, the sand, and Palm trees. Three of my favorite things. Things that I may never see again.

As we get out, the waiting to get on the plane passes in a blur and suddenly were on I'm in my seat, flying to the airport in Dallas. I put in my ear buds and turn up the volume to block out my mom's chatter to my little brother, Austin, about how great it's going to be.

Well, she might convince him that moving in early March to a brand new school will be fun, but I know better. I'm going to be the new girl from the big city. They'll all be friends who don't need a Californian. I'll be the laughing stock of the junior year. I'll be lucky if I find a date to prom! Besides, even if I do it will be a pity date. No one likes the awkward new girl.

I must have fallen asleep, because suddenly my mom is shaking my arm. "Maylee, do you want some peanuts or not?" I warily look over and see an impatient flight attendant with bags of peanuts and small bottles of water. "Um yeah, sure." I take the bag and eat a few while the attendant announces that we'll be landing in Dallas, Texas in ten minutes.

Looking out the tiny window, I see Texas for the first time. It looks like a big city, like back home. But that's just Dallas. Wimberly is a small town, no skyscrapers, busy streets or bright lights. Just fields and ranches.

As we finally exit the plane, I see my dad waiting for us by the baggage. He left early, to get the house ready, sign us up for school, and to start his job. Luckily it's spring break here, and I have a few days to make myself at home.

I run up to my dad and hug him. "Hey dad! I'm so glad to finally see you again!" I say into his shirt, still wrapped up in a hug. "Me too pumpkin, I've missed you guys for that week I was away!" He says patting my head. "Maylee, you're going to love our house! I had your room decorated with all brand new things! I'm so excited for you to see it!" He says with a grin. What?! This is a nightmare! Dad decorated my room! Ugh, he probably made it all little girl like, with pink and princesses everywhere! Instead of telling him that, I just smile. "Thanks dad, I bet I will!" I say as we walk to the car. There's no need for him to be disappointed.

The drive from the airport to our new house is about an hour long. It's beautiful here, there's no denying that, but it's definitely country. Tons of cowboy boots and plaid shirts. Cows and horses everywhere, like a constant rodeo is going on. All that's on the radio is country music. Nothing like today's music. At least that's what dad's listening to anyways. He sings a long, really getting into the Texas spirit. I sigh and close my eyes, waiting to go to our new house and meet my impending doom.

When we get there, I see that the moving van beat us here, and is already unloading our things and taking them inside. The house looks beautiful on the outside, cream siding and brown bricks. As I look around, we do have neighbors, it's not just us out here. I feel a hand on my shoulder as my dad speaks, "Well, you ready to see your new room?" I cringe mentally and say, "I can't wait!"

Inside the house is gorgeous. Smooth wooden floors and cabinets. Brown leather couches and a flat screen tv. But even the house has a country feel. I follow my dad up the stairs, hoping that it won't be as bad as I think it's going to be. Carefully, I open the door and look inside. To my surprise, I love it.

The walls are an ocean blue, with circular mirrors around the bed. The bedspread is white with pink Japanese blossoms decorating it. The furniture is white, and I have my own computer and tv. It's my perfect bedroom with a matching bathroom. My bathroom has the same blue on the walls, and an ocean theme. Of course it also has my favorite bathroom products. I had nothing to worry about...my dad gave me the perfect room!

"Dad, I love it! You did so good! You're right.....it might not be that bad here." I say as I give him a big hug. He just laughs. "Just wait till you see the garage." "What do you mean?" I ask curiously. Why would I like the garage?
I follow him, wondering what that crazy man is doing now. He stops me just outside the garage. "Close your eyes." He instructs me. I do as he asks, and feel his hand close over them just in case. He guides me to the garage. Then his hand comes off and he says "okay, open them."

In front of me is a beautiful red car. It's shiny with sparkling headlights, it's not the latest model car, but thankfully it's not an old clunker. I instantly love it! "Thank you so much daddy....I don't know what to say!" He just smiles and says, "I'm glad you like it. Moving here does have it's positives doesn't it?" I laugh, "It sure does."

He turns to look at me and holds up a key. "Would you like to give it a test drive and go pick up some food? Your mom wants to make some barbeque chicken and salad, but we're out. Honestly, all I've had was fast food for the past week, so there's nothing in here. If you could go shopping for me, I'll unpack your things." That sounds like a great idea to me. "Sure dad, do you have some cash I could borrow?" He hands me a twenty dollar bill. "Bring me back the change." He says. I nod and get into my new car. as I back out of the driveway, I begin my journey to the place that would soon change my world.