Chapter Nine

Chapter Nine

Misto get out of here....

I try to ignore him, there's no way this moment is going to be ruined for me. I close my eyes again. And who cares if he watches? Let him be a creep. I lean back into Calix to kiss him again, when he notices Misto.

He pulls away abruptly and I gasp. "What are you doing here?!" he shouts at him. Misto puts his hands in the air. "Hey, I was just uh..." He slowly backs away. Calix stomps over to him and pushes him into the wall. "What is wrong with you?" he says in his face.

Misto tries to hold his ground. "I was...looking for the bathroom." I could smack myself in the face. Is that really the best excuse he could think of?

Calix gets really mad and bangs Misto back into the wall with a thud. Misto groans. My hands cover my mouth in shock and I rush over to them. "Calix what are you doing?!" I shout.

"He's messing with me Liliya! And I never did anything to him!" he exclaims. I flinch at his loud tone. Misto regains his composure, and goes on the offense. He pulls his fist back and slugs Calix square in the face.

Calix staggers backwards, holding onto his nose. When he pulls his hand away it's covered in blood. His nose and upper lip are bleeding. He wipes the blood off with his sleeve and charges at Misto. Meanwhile Misto winds his fist back up, preparing the punch.

I rush to stand in between them and stick my arms out. "Stop it!" I scream at them. "I'm sick of this!" I'm usually the quiet one, I'm never the one to be assertive. Before I know it my eyes are tearing up. I look down and take a deep breath. For a moment there is silence, the only sounds are my shaky breaths. I can feel their stares on me, I wonder who's going to break the silence. I put my arms down by my side and begin to sob quietly.

I feel a pair of warm comforting arms wrap around me. I lean into him, for a moment I'm hoping it's Misto. But when the person holding me whispers in my ear, I recognize it as Calix's. He rest his chin on top of me head and whispers, "It's okay, it's okay..." He lifts his head up then hisses, "Bug off" to Misto. I look at Misto. He glares at me with those glowing eyes. They show his hurt and sadness. His jaw shakes. I give him a sad look, then he leaves.

Calix pulls away and gently holds onto my shoulders. "You okay?" he asks, his eyes locking with mine. His nose doesn't look broken, but it's definitely hurt. "Your nose...." I say putting my hand on his cheek. "I'm fine," he claims. I sniffle and cry a little bit more. He rubs my back lightly and soothes me. Then he wipes a tear away from under my left eye. "Don't cry..." he whispers. "Do you want to leave?"

I don't want to stay, but I can't think of anything better to do back at Veda's place. And I don't want to drag everyone home just because I'm a little upset. As if he read my mind, Calix suggests, "You and I could just hang out at my place until everyone comes home?" I'm not exactly sure what he has in mind, but I don't want to stay here any longer. I force a small smile. "Sounds great."

We have to weave our way through the crowd again in order to get to the exit. Calix grabs my hand and I pray we don't run into Misto. I spot a girl who's at least a good half a foot taller than me walking over to the bar. The whole club seems to be staring at her; the guys drooling and the girls envying. Her frizzy blonde brown hair cascades down her shoulders and back perfectly, her red and black eyes hypnotizing. Her gold dress shows off a lot of cleavage, which based on the looks she's getting from all the guys, was what she was aiming for. She brushes their chests with her delicate fingertips as she walks by.

"That's Scintella," Calix says, catching me staring. "She's our age." She's fourteen?! She could definitely pass for seventeen. She takes a seat next to Ajax, whose eyes widen to the size of golf balls. "Do you know her?" I ask Calix. "Yeah...she's my ex-girlfriend." Oh, whoops.

We continue through the bunches of people in the club until we finally reach the exit. It seems like a hundred degrees cooler 'outside' than it does in Par's. Calix leads me through the different archways and tunnels until we reach his door. I sit on the edge of the bed and cross my legs. He washes the blood off his face in a small bucket of water then sits next to me.

"I'm sorry about earlier, there's just something about Misto that rubs me the wrong way," he says. "I was just mad that he ruined the moment..." I feel him tense up. I rest my hand on his clenched fist and it instantly relaxes. "It's okay," I reply. "I just don't like seeing you guys fighting. Today's been a stressful day..."

Calix pulls me closer and I lean on him. "Maybe I could help make you relax," he says cooly. He cups my cheeks in his hands and he begins kissing me. I don't know whether to smile or pull away after what happened earlier.