Chapter Fourteen

When we get back at Veda's, everyone disperses into their own little groups. Ludo, Zelotz, Skytus, and Dylis take one corner; Veda, Misto, Devon, and Melina take another. I sit on Calix's lap on the loveseat, and I think Myana pulled Ajax into another room and materialized a door.

"So how'd you like it all?" Calix in my ear.

"It was fun..." I'm not lying, but I'm still caught up in my confusion with Veda. I zone out and lay my head under his chin.

He strokes my forehead. "Aww, you're tired aren't you? Don't worry, you can fall asleep on me, I won't mind."

I close my eyes, still in deep thought. Why can't I focus on any of the details? Maybe Calix will know what's going on with my head. Maybe if I start trying to explain it, I'll remember the rest.

"Calix?"

"Yes Lil'?"

"Do you know anything about an old book?"

"..."

He doesn't answer right away. I look up at him from under his chin. He has his pondering face on.

"What old book? I mean, there are a lot of books out there," he says after an amount of time.

"Well," I say, struggling to remember the details. "It was in the locker room, and Veda went into defense-mode when I found it. I think there's something on it..."

"I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about." He looks down into my eyes, and I get lost instantly. They're so deep, so many layers of color and emotion. I could stare at them for ages.

He leans in and kisses me, and I don't hesitate to kiss back this time. I lean back so my head rests on the plush arm of the chair and he follows me there. His palms cup my delicate face. I hold onto his shoulders.

"AAAAHH! GET OFF ME!!!" someone screams outside of the room. Calix and I break our kiss and sit up. There's a loud pounding sound, underneath it I think I can hear giggling.

All of a sudden, a shirtless Ajax stumbles into the room, out of breath; followed by a very giggly Myana, whose skimpy attire hasn't changed much since training-crop top and unbelievably short shorts.

"Come back here you little runaway fox!" Myana says, licking her teeth. Yipes, she almost sounds drunk.

"What the hell?!" Misto exclaims. Melina is laughing so hard I wouldn't be surprised if she exploded.

Ajax grows red. "Stop laughing!" He backs up to the wall. Myana laughs. Devon stands up. "Myana, stop. You're making the guy uncomfortable."

Myana pouts. "You don't know what he's thinking!"

"He kinda does!" Ajax shouts.

Myana ignores Ajax's comment and advances closer to him. Devon jumps into action. He drops to the floor and swings his leg out. Myana squeals as she falls. Devon catches her and spins her around.

Myana struggles against him. "Let me go you little-" Devon looks deep into her eyes until his own glow a dark purple. Myana collapses in his arms.

We all stare at Devon. Veda looks angry. Ajax stands there in the middle of the room in his underwear.

Devon doesn't make eye contact with anyone and sets Myana down on the floor. Then he leaves the room. Veda stands up and follows him.

"W-what was that?" Dylis asks. Ajax scoffs. "I really don't care, he got me out of that situation and that's all that matters." He looks down at his boxers and grows red. Then he dashes back into the other room to fetch his clothes.