Chapter Nine; Goodbye

"I cannot believe I trusted you," Tetra snapped to Link.

"I... I really am sorry."

"And so you should be! You almost sent all of my crew to their deaths!"

He didn't look up at her.

She wrapped her hands around the bars. "Why did you lie to me," she snarled. Her trust was not something easily won, and to be gained by some stupid stowaway... She should have seen it coming.

He still refused to look up. "I told you... I thought all pirates were bad."

"And most of them are, but you just had to run your little scam on my ship," she growled in frustration. "Why do you do it?"

"I don't. This is my first time."

"Who hired you?"

"An organization devoted to capturing and bringing pirates to justice. I figured... That it was a noble cause. And from what you said, it would be... But I chose the wrong ship."

"Din's fire, you did," she snapped. Then her face relaxed, only a little. "Link, why did you back out of the plan? Why save us all and betray your organization?"

"I'm not in the business to take out the good guys just because they sail under a black flag. Really, I only joined to get away from... to get to Farren and make a little money at the same time... but..." He sighed. "I don't know now..."

"Tell me what you're running away from and I might be able to understand," she started, and then she reached one hand to the bars again. "I might even let you out, seeing as you did save us from the mess you got us into."

Link looked down at his hands. He didn't say anything.

She sighed. "Alright. See you later, Link," she said as she stood up and made her way out of the brig.

"Wait... "

She turned back and raised an eyebrow. "Yes?"

"I... I ran away."

She walked back to the seat and carefully sat down. "A lot of people do that."

"Including you."

It wasn't a question, and she scowled. "Yes," she admitted. "Continue."

"Well... the thing I ran away from was rather... large. I needed to get away before..." He shook his head. "I'm not from Hyrule. Well, I am, but not. I'm from one of the old colonies that declared independence. I had to get away from the war ."

Tetra frowned. When she had left, hostilities seemed to be mounting, but - "There was no war when I left."

"It's been hushed up by our respective royal families," he said, "or so I've heard."

Tetra narrowed her eyes as she looked down. This was getting worse than she thought. "Why run, though?"

"The only option to settle hostilities, besides outright annihilation, would be a marriage between kingdoms. And from what I've heard, the Princess of Hyrule isn't the kind of woman to submit to that," he snorted. "She probably thinks the people don't matter at all. Typical of royalty."

Anger momentarily flared within her, but then Link continued.

"Though I can't say that my kingdom's prince is much better than she is... word is he outright refused to marry just because of the war."

"He sounds sensible," she mused. "No one should be forced into that. I'm sure my kingdom's princess feels the same about it all. And she definitely cares about the people... Even the ones not in her Kingdom..."

"How do you figure that?"

"Well, Zelda is... Known throughout my kingdom."

"I haven't heard anything about her."

"Well, you haven't been here long," she replied with a shrug.

"I haven't been to Hyrule at all. You stopped at our port."

"So we did... That would be why then," she shrugged. "Whatever the case... You're just saying you ran away from politics?"

"A war, and politics... Yes."

She sighed and leaned against her uninjured hand. "Well..." she narrowed her eyes. "You came to Hyrule for a new life?"

"I wanted to get away... So I did."

She bit her lip and then shook her head. "You're still hiding something."

"I told you, it's personal. Are you going to tell me why you ran away?"

"I'm not the one behind bars."

"From this angle you are."

She rolled her eyes, that was the man she'd gotten to know. "Whatever. I'll let you go when we near land. We've got just a few hours left..."

--

Tetra looked back on her ship. A shaky breath left her as she felt the crushing weight of the knowledge that she might never see it again pressing upon her like a physical force.

She raised her injured hand and slowly waved it back and forth as the ship was carried away by the wind.

"Goodbye captain!!!" she heard from many different people. "Thank you!"

"Goodbye!" she yelled in return. Her hand slowly fell to her side and she let out a shaky breath. "Goodbye..."

Link stepped beside her, his small pack slung on his shoulders. "You're really giving it all up?"

"Tetra will be a fine captain."

"I was meaning to ask... why does she have the same name as you?"

Tetra chuckled. "What? It's a normal name."

"It's an old pirate name. Your parents were not pirates."

"How do you figure that?"

"You said you ran away."

"Good guess, but you've got nothing," she rolled her eyes.

"So, what's your real name then?"

She laughed. "Like I'd tell you."

"Ha! So your real name isn't Tetra!"

"Curses," she spat. He'd so tricked her into that, the rat.

"Tetra, we really should be going now."

She turned to Impa. "You're right..." she said as she glanced back towards the shrinking ship.

"Guess this is where we part ways," he said.

Tetra watched her ship sail into the setting sun as she replied,"It is."

"I enjoyed the time together... Even though... I at first was trying to turn you in..." he said.

"... Funnily enough, I did as well. You're a strange man Link..." She turned away from the sunset and then strode forward. She had just passed Link when she paused.

"Goodbye," he said.

Tetra pressed her lips together and closed her eyes as she argued with herself internally. Could I?....

Why not? It wasn't like she would ever see him again. So she turned back to him and took the step.

Then she did the craziest thing she had ever done; she kissed him. Slipping a hand behind his neck and pulling him down to meet her. And then, since she enjoyed it, she did it again.

Then she drew back and locked her gaze with his.

WAIT, Why did I do that?? 

Link's face looked shocked and dazed. 

That made her smirk. Ugh, who cares, I liked it.

"Goodbye, Link," she said, and then she turned and walked away.

She didn't look back.