Part IV: Michael

Part IV: Michael

I was determined not to get near Danny’s workplace until Wednesday afternoon. I didn’t want to look like I was stalking him, so I hardened my resolve, telling myself that it would be fine, three days would just fly by.

I was wrong. Monday alone felt like a week. So, Tuesday morning I was wandering the mall.

Being the morning of a working day, the shops were not too crowded, so I spotted Danny as soon as I stepped into one of the recently open bookstores. He was wearing the black and green polo shirt that was the store’s uniform and was busy unpacking books from a cardboard box to put them into their right shelf. It was unbelievable how happy I was just from the sight of him.

I approached along the bookshelf he was working on. “Hey, Danny!”

He raised his eyes to me. His surprise was obvious, but then his whole face lit up in a wonderful smile that showed from his mouth to his sea-green eyes. “Michael! Hi!”

I think I lost my reason for a second there. My heart was thumping so hard inside my chest that I was afraid Danny might hear it. “So… this is where you work, huh?” I managed to utter. As if I was surprised! I had already checked the other two bookstores that existed in the mall.

“Yeah, this is it,” he confirmed, opening his arms to indicate the ample space. “Can I help you with something?” He offered, professional.

Yes, I have this huge crush on you and it would really help if you liked me too, can you please do that? I held in the smile threatening to invade my face at my silly thoughts. “Well, I…” I took a look around. As usual, I had just dived into this situation with no plausible story planned to justify my being here, and I couldn’t just tell Danny I had come only to see him. “I’m looking for a… a book.” Genius, Michael, you’re a genius…

Danny made an amused grin. “Yeah, I’d guessed that much. Since we’re a bookstore, and all.”

“It’s… my mother’s birthday next week and I need a present for her,” I said, thanking the heavens for my abilities of quick improvisation.

“Ah, ok then. What kind of books does she like?” he asked, putting on his professional demeanor again. For some reason, that made me even more attracted to him.

“Hum, I think she’s going through a horror phase now,” I said. Thank heavens again that my mother actually likes to read, so I didn’t have to make up too much.

Danny took me to the horror section and explored the available titles with me, showing me the new ones, the popular ones, the classic ones, telling me details about them and mentioning his personal preferences.

 The kid sure knew how to do his job. He was nice, listened to what I wanted and knew what to suggest without burying me in books until I didn’t know what to choose anymore. With all the friendly efficiency plus that pretty face of his, I could easily imagine a lot of female clients crushing on him. I frowned at the thought.

“So, not this one, huh?” Danny said, putting the book back.

“No! That one looks good too, I was… thinking of another thing,” I confessed. He raised his brows at me in a playfully admonishing gesture. “I was thinking that you’re pretty good at this. Do you like working in here?”

The question took him by surprise, or maybe it was the compliment. Either way, his green eyes widened before he answered. “I… Yeah, I like it. My colleagues are nice, the boss is not a total jerk and the paycheck is not bad either, so…”