Chapter Five

Ginelle made sure she was aware of her guardian's whereabouts so she could avoid Dorian Ashford as much as possible. She kept to her room most of the day, engrossing herself with books and needlework and yet it did nothing to appease the seldom boredom that came with being confined inside when the weather outside was pleasant and enticing. Since their heated encounter a few nights ago, she had not seen the dark lord nor had he demanded she be whipped for attempting to steal a horse. Had she been wrong about his cruel nature?

If he thought she would so willingly give in, he was quite mistaken. She would remain at Ashford only because her heart couldn't bear the thought of parting with Eloise. Her memory was painfully fresh and she wanted to linger a little longer to hold onto the sisterhood they had shared. Her thoughts strayed towards the disturbing image of Pierino. Surely the man had forgotten her, even if he were to see her today, would he recognize her? She trembled at the thought and quickly dismissed it. She would not dwell on that despicable man.

Thrusting her needlework aside, she got to her feet and moved to stand by the window. It was noon and the sun gleamed brightly in the cloudless blue sky, its beauty and warmth beckoning. The weather had increasingly grown warmer an indication that the seasons were changing. It had been some time since she had gone for a ride over the countryside. The last time she had allowed such a pleasantry was when Eloise had been alive and well. She was overcome with a sudden heaviness that she could only recognize has grief and she quickly sought to ease her heavy heart. She would not wither to nothing inside her room. She would not hide from Dorian Ashford. Eloise would not want her to waste such a beautiful day.

Smiling, she quickly rushed to her wardrobe to find a more suitable riding attire; her heart soaring at the thought of doing something she loved and escaping the dreadful enclosure of her bedroom.

The tobacco fields were steadily improving. They had a sufficient amount of barrels prepped and ready to be shipped. Dorian had spent hours in the past couple of days working his laborers to the point of exhaustion. The fields were producing an abundant of crops. He dedicated a portion of his day inspecting crops and the warehouse. He managed the workers, keenly aware that several that had been brought in a month ago were proving to be uncooperative. They refused to submit to the intensive labor or that of his commands. Some were rebellious but easily detained and put to rights and yet there was a selected few that remained resistant. He gave his men strict orders to keep a wary eye on the laborers that proved difficult for they would be the ones that could cost him.

As he did one last round through the fields and paused to give orders to one of the guards, he decided to retire to the house and freshen up. He smiled at the thought of Lucile scolding him like a disobedient lad for skipping a meal.

He pulled on the reins and turned Lafeu onto the path that would lead him back to the house. The black stallion was indeed a prized horse to be had and he had raised the horse since it was a colt. The stallion was a stubborn animal but its loyalty to him was impeccable.

Dorian jerked on the reins as a sudden movement caught his attention from his peripheral. He averted his gaze just to catch a flash of silver-blond hair before disappearing in the thick foliage. He felt an immediate wave of anger wash over him as he dug his heels into Lafeu's side and started after the object of his fury. The insolent chit would dare defy him!

Ginelle was aware of nothing but the heavenly caress of the wind in her unbound hair as it flowed freely behind her in waves of silver blond. How could she have possibly thought she could spend hours inside when beauty such as this was impossible to ignore? The mare beneath her moved at a steady and gentle canter and Ginelle hastened the horse's pace as they ventured further into the forest. At one point she had feared this desolate place with its towering trees and finger-like limbs, but in the daylight, the foliage was alluring. She didn't fear the dangers the forest presented for Eloise had explained that as long as she didn't wonder far from the plantation that she was perfectly safe.