Chapter Twenty-Nine

Mindless of his wounds, Dorian spent every waking hour rummaging the darkened streets of London searching frantically for any evident signs or bystanders they may have some information to Ginelle’s disappearance. He vowed silently that he would not rest until she was safely in his arms. He entrusted in Stefan’s aid and the two of them ransacked every crevice, every corner and building, hoping to stumble upon any evidence that could lead them to her.

            Hours elapsed without any knowledge but Dorian was quite certain the man responsible for her abduction was Pierino.

            Reluctantly, he returned to Ashford with the fixed intention of finding the bastard and seeing that he would never again harm the woman he loved.

            His stomach knotted with tension, his thoughts shifting to Ginelle’s wellbeing and his unborn child. He prayed silently for their safety, cursing himself for his ill-advised treatment and cruel accusations. He had been such a misguided fool, hindered by his own judgment and the uncertainty of his feelings, he should have claimed her long ago and now it may be too late.

            The very thought of someone harming her sent his senses reeling, his mind spinning with unimaginable happenings that he stumbled through the manor doors. He collapsed on the floor; his hands shaking as he fumbled to get to his feet.

            “Monsieur!” he heard Lucile’s frantic cry as the older woman rushed forward, followed by Stefan as he moved forward to grab Dorian’s arm and help him to his feet.

            “He is not well.” Lucile said to Stefan as the two of them balanced his massive weight between them.  “His wounds are festering. We must get him to bed.” Her panicked voice jarred Dorian alert, suddenly aware of the pain shooting through his exhausted limbs.

            He mumbled a disgruntled groan as the two of them assisted him up the flight of stairs, each struggling to maintain a firm grip on his muscled frame as he attempted to pull away from them. “Must f-find her.” He groaned, his head spinning uncontrollably.

            “You are no good to her like this.” Stefan said sternly, his grip tightening as they started down the hall, “You’ve caused your wounds much distress, and you need to rest. I will continue to search for her, rest easy, Captain.”

            Ginelle woke the next morning, exhausted from a restless night and fearful of what would become of her. She stared blankly around the room, the elaborate furnishings and costly paintings lost its appeal, her mind and heart heavy with uncertainty and fear that she may never return to Ashford.

            She rested a hand against her belly, her fingers probing for the life that lay within. Her little bundle was the only means to her sanity, the only thread keeping her sane while her scrambled thoughts conjured an escape. Dorian must love her; she thought convincingly, his manner towards her bespoke of a passion that surely matched her own.

            Yet, even as she thought this, she wondered for a moment if it all had been merely for possession, for control over her wellbeing. The thought made her heart sink deeply in her chest and she quickly thrust the horrid thought aside.