Prologue

Prologue

"He's out of control" Vincent hissed to his son – making sure he kept his voice quiet. The room wasn't soundproof, and they were worried that people would hear them.

"What do we do, Sir?" Saxon whispered, voice as urgent as his fathers. "We can't overthrow him. He's the Alpha". Saxon looked at his father, noticing the way he was aging – the grey wisps in his hair, the wrinkles that were growing under his eyes and his forehead.

"We can, but we have to do it politically. There will be none of this old fashioned fighting and killing like barbarians. This will be done properly and with the right course of action. But, I need to meet the criteria to take over as Alpha".

Saxon nodded, "we need to make your Pack larger and stronger".

Vincent smiled at his youngest son, "exactly. Your brothers and I need to stay here with the Alpha, and the rest of the Council. It will look suspicious if we suddenly all up and leave during a Council meeting. But, listen, if we do this, we do it properly. There will be no Forced Turns, do you understand?"

"Understood Sir" Saxon smiled, glancing at his watch. "How long do I have?"

"One month" Vincent replied. "You have one month to get as many Pack members as you can. But none can be a Forced Turn. Because we'll be able to smell it in their scents if you Force Turn anyone, Saxon".

"I would never do that, Sir" he frowned, slightly offended by his father's distrust.

"I know you wouldn't Saxon. But you have to understand that it will be a frustrating month, when most of your chosen people are failing the change. You're a compassionate boy, Saxon, you get it from your mother. So I know you would never Force a change on purpose, but when you see someone dying, it's very hard to turn away".

"I know what I have to do, father. We cannot allow the Alpha to carry on like this" Saxon nodded. Vincent nodded at his son, pride flowing through him, before he clasped his shoulder firmly.

"Go, son, go build our Pack up again". Vincent gave his youngest son a quick hug, before heading out the door. Saxon stared at the closed door for a moment, knowing his father had tasked him with an important job.

Saxon had six older brothers, and spent his life in the shadow of them all. Yet, finally, his father had trusted him with a big task – to make their Pack the strongest, so that his father could take over as the Alpha.

So, Saxon quickly packed a bag and headed to the airport. He had a hard task ahead of him, but he was excited to get started.