Chapter Sixteen - The Proposition

It would take over two hours to get back to New York

It would take over two hours to get back to New York. Giving him way too much time to think. He texted his assistant to set up a luncheon with Debbie. He hadn't seen his wife in over six months and that was only briefly at one of their mutual friend's birthday parties. He couldn't even recall if they spoke to one another. It puzzled him greatly to think of what she could want of him now. Truth be known he'd be more than happy never to see her again.

They met when she had attended one of his seminars. She had been so different back then. So loving and caring, he really thought she loved him. Of course, back then he loved her too, but now seeing Sheila and all the feelings just seeing her again evoked, the passion in her kiss, the look in her eyes when she'd stared at him. He was willing to admit he really did not know what love could be until she reentered his life, and now that he had a taste of it he refused to let it go.

The Lincoln Tunnel. He was close to home. He loved New York, something that he had not thought of until now. If he and Sheila did get together would they commute? It would seem a waste to spend those hours sitting in traffic then being with her. He wondered if she would consider living with him. Perhaps he was jumping into things too soon. Still, when he thought of being with her, time didn't seem to go fast enough.

He had some time to kill so stopped at the office.

"Hey, boss! Whoa, what happened to you?" Crystal said jumping up from her chair.

"It's not as bad as it looks, but I was thinking I may need to take some more time off. Wouldn't really do to have our fans seeing me like this."

"You got it. I'll handle everything. You just give me the details and it's done," Crystal said following him into his office and sitting in the chair across from him with pen and pad in hand.

"Give me six weeks. That should be enough time for my arm to heal. The bruises and cuts will be long gone by then and hopefully, that will give me enough time to wrap things up with Debbie as well."

"She's not giving your trouble about the divorce is she?" Crystal asked thinking the woman crazy as Christian was making a more than a generous settlement on her. Especially considering that he had proof adultery.

"I really don't know. Not yet, but I'm sure we will find out soon enough. I'm heading over to my apartment to get changed before meeting with her and then I'll be going back to Philly. I'm already missing the rehearsal for this meeting and don't want to miss any more time."

Although the real reason he was eager to get back had very little to do with James and everything to do with Sheila.

"Is there anything else we need to go over," Christian asked Crystal gathering up his things to leave.

"No, things are pretty quiet and most people believe it's about time you've taken a vacation. The six weeks thing may be hard to explain but so long as we keep to the deadlines of your next book you should be good."