C H A P T E R 8_

(song: "Vespertilio" by Hans Zimmer)

We ride for a long time in silence. The sounds of our travels humming in our ears until we have reached beyond the city and past a sign that reads: Private Property. No Trespassing.

From a distance it looks like a science lab or facility. But when we get closer, it reveals itself to be a concrete military bunker, spotting the familiar S.H.I.E.L.D. symbol at the entry. We slow down and Loki stops us after Clint has stopped the vehicle ahead. He only leaves to type a code into a hidden panel and the steel door large enough for more than one tank opens up to let us in. We drive the bike inside but leave the car, considering the one in here looks fit for war. Seeming like it was taken from the U.S. Army itself.

Loki shuts off the motor as we park and looks around. The others have left the car and are walking inside where we are.

I unwrap my arms from around Loki's waist and I hop off. I take in a deep breath of unpolluted air. "That wasn't so bad. For someone who has never driven a car or a bike, you're a pretty decent driver."

"Well I knew you weren't clinging to me out of being frightened," he teases quietly, not looking at me but wanting to smile. Why does he always have to annoy me?

I roll my eyes and place my hand on my hip. "You're very annoying, do you know that?"

He laughs.

Natasha gets the door open with a code and fingerprint.

Just then something smashes on the base's roof above us that startles Steve. Loki just looks up with a knowing for who it is.

Thor jumps down to us from the roof and soon Tony is here as well. All of us crowd into the base quickly.

The first door to get in leads us through some heavily armored rooms and emergency equipment. Then into the massive base room with a large table and screens around it for surveillance. There are things at the back like an oven, sink, and others for eating and such.

Most of the room is empty and most of the furniture looks fit for soldiers.

The layout is simple. And I can see ways to other rooms from here. But we don't go exploring. The moment Stark is in the room he activates the monitors to check into S.H.I.E.L.D.'s database.

"Stark get the news on quickly," Rogers tells him.

Tony is out of his suit already and is working on the slick tablet in hand. He turns on what he can and from here everyone crowds and stares up at the screens when voices and picture is connected.

"There was an attack by an organization known as 'Hydra' that we have never seen before..." someone says. I listen to all the chaos on the screens, seeing body after body and burning buildings all over the monitors. "Black outs all over the city of Los Angeles...", "The White House has been obliterated...", "The president has been murdered...", "the vision seen in the sky is forcing us all to believe that we are not alone..." I listen to it all and it makes my heart rate quicken with worry.