Chapter 18

We got into the car, which was indeed a hybrid, and drove away from the house. I looked out the window at the houses in this suburban area. It was an odd place for the Resistance to be hiding, but I guess it made sense. The Revolution was so obvious in their safe houses, all of which were huge and grand. No wonder there had been a trap set by the Resistance so close to the house, they were waiting to capture either enemy or friend who wandered into the forests by the house.

"Hey Kyran, where are we going to stay when we get to Denver?" I asked.

Kyran glanced at me out of the corner of his eye but quickly returned to looking at the road. "At Janet's brother's house."

"Is he also a member of the Resistance?"

"Yes, but he doesn't have any powers. He knows about all of this from Janet."

"How did Janet get sucked into all of this?" I asked curiously.

Kyran shrugged. "Her sister's two kids were kidnapped by the Revolution. Janet had tried to hide them with her power for a while, but one day while she was out Cody and Andy came and took them away. This was before she learned the trick with the blood."

"Two kids." I whispered. "What were their names?"

"Hm? Oh, Tony and-"

"Hannah." I breathed. "She's Hannah's aunt."

Kyran looked at me curiously. "You know them? This is great! We haven't had word of them in forever, they never leave the house."

I closed my eyes and shook my head.

"What's wrong, they're not... they're not dead are they?" Kyran asked quietly.

I peeked at him around my newly blonde hair and sighed. "Tony's dead. I think he's been dead for a while, almost the entire time since they were kidnapped."

Kyran seemed speechless for a moment before shaking his head, his knuckles were white against the steering wheel. "We never heard anything about that. This is going to break their hearts." he whispered to himself.

"What happened to their mother?" I asked hesitantly.

Kyran grimaced. "You'll see when we get there. She lives with her brother now, can't really take care of herself." he was quiet for a moment before asking me. "Is Hannah safe?"

I gave a humorless laugh. "As safe as you can be all locked up in that house. But yes, safe enough. Cody won't let her leave on missions or anything."

"Why not?"

I shrugged. "As Zach so tactfully put it, she was a miscalculation on Cody's part. She can't feel pain but that puts her at even greater risk since she doesn't know her limits. Her two missing fingers are proof of that."

"Do you know her well?"

I thought back to my last conversation with her and slowly nodded. "Probably better than anyone. Except for Ash, of course. Ash had a knack for understanding people."

"That's Evan's sister, right?" he waited for my brief nod before wondering, "What happened to her? You said someone killed her. Who was it? The same person who killed Tony?"

I laughed nervously. "You going to avenge them or something?"

"It crossed my mind. Knowing Evan, she's going to want some revenge once she gets over the shock that her sister was acting the way she did to protect her. So who was it? Cody? Your boyfriend Zach?"

"He's not my boyfriend." I spat out automatically.

"Well then why won't you answer my question? It sounds like you're protecting somebody, but they should pay for killing Ashley and Tony!"