Chapter 1

Steve was dropping off a suspect at HPD when he heard what sounded like a child screaming and crying.

"Let me go! Please, let me go!" She sobbed, trying, and failing, to break out of the officer's grip.

"What's going on?" Steve asked, approaching slowly.

"Commander Mcgarrett, this kid's a runaway. We're going to get someone to take her back to her foster parents."

"No! No! Please!"

"Why don't you release her into my custody, and I'll make sure she ends up where she's supposed to." Steve suggested, smiling down at the girl. She was a pretty girl with caramel colored hair and the most beautiful blue eyes he had ever seen in his life. She looked like she couldn't be older than fifteen. Steve found it odd that at she was wearing a long sleeve shirt and pants in 97 degree weather.

"All right. Just make sure she does." The officer said, leaving her with Steve.

Steve put his hands on her shoulders causing her to flinch, letting out a little whimper.

He immediately sat her down in a chair and squatted so he was looking directly into her eyes.

"Did I hurt you?"

She shook her head and shrunk away from him. Her chin quivering like she was trying her best not to cry.

"Sweetheart, what's wrong?" Steve asked her, gently placing his hands on her arms. She jumped and tried to pull away, but started sobbing when the cuffs pulled at her left wrist. He looked down to see that it was swollen and appeared to be broken.

"How did this happen?" He asked pulling her close to his chest. She tended up and tried to pull away, but he held her tight, and eventually she relaxed against him, her sobs turning into hiccups and sniffles.

"Please let me go." She whimpered.

"I can't leave them out there alone!"

"Who?" He said, pulling away and looking her in the eye.

"My little sisters. They're not big enough to be out there all alone."

"Babe, what's your name?"

She froze and looked down at the floor. He put his hand under her chin, forcing her to look at him.

"Katie." She whispered.

"How old are you, Katie?"

"I just turned fourteen."

"How old are your sisters?"

"I have four. Sadie's eleven, Ellie and Hailey are four, and Lilly's one and a half."

"Where are they?"

"If I tell you, you have to promise you won't make us go back