Chapter 6

When the nurse came to put Ellie's I.V. in, she started crying.

"No!" She sobbed, trying to get away from Steve. She pushed at his chest, and tried to wriggle out of his arms. He picked her up and sat her down sideways on his right leg. He then put her left arm behind him and used his legs to trap hers. With his right hand he held her tightly around her waist, and with his left hand he forced her head down onto his shoulder, blocking the nurse from her sight. She sobbed and grabbed a fistful of his shirt with her left hand, burying her face in his neck. The nurse grabbed her right arm and tied the tourniquet around her upper arm. Ellie sobbed into Steve's shoulder as she wiped off the area with alcohol, and he whispered soothingly into her ear. As the nurse inserted the needle, Ellie tensed up and tried to pull away. Steve just tightened his grip on her and kissed her forehead. The nurse taped everything down and left the room. Steve then turned her around so she was up against his chest.

"You're okay, baby. It's over. I'm sorry, sweetheart."

"It hurts!"

"I know, kiddo. It'll feel better soon."

"I want Katie."

"I know, baby, but she's with another doctor right now."

"I don't want to go home."

"Why not?"

"I'm scared. I wanna stay with you." She said burying her face in his neck.

"It's okay. Everything is going to be okay."