Arrivals

Wearily, I slowly pushed the door open to the house I had called home for the past fifteen years, my insides filling with dread. I couldn't believe I was actually returning here, it felt so bittersweet. It just brought back dark memories of all the tears,shouting and broken hearts, as well as the happy memories of a happy family that seem so long gone.

As I entered into the open hallway, my eyes stung with sharp tears as I remembered with a pang, how much I missed this home, and my family, how much I missed the way things were.

There was still red and yellow patterned rug that lay on the wooden floor of the hall, and the walls were still the same cream colour that went along the entire house.

I followed my dad into the living room.

Everything looked basically the same yet completely different; there were no photos on the mantelpiece of mum with any of us anywhere, but instead they were replaced with photos of my new step-mum, her children,my dad and my brother Jamie.

The house wasn't as spacious as the apartment I shared with mum in New York; it was a country house, meaning the rooms were average sized, and all the floors were wooden, there were large, cottage-style windows in each room that allowed the sun's rays to shine in, and it was quite the opposite of mum's minimalist styled apartment in that there were ornaments and flowers, pictures and toys, books etc. everywhere- this was a family house, one that everyone used. Except this wasn't my family house anymore, I felt out of place.

 The comfy red sofa was now replaced with a newer, cream one that looked oddly stiff and unused. The television was still sitting in the same far corner of the room, along with the Sky box and Jamie's consoles. A same guitar that my mum got my dad on their honeymoon, stood beside the brick mantelpiece but the strap that said "Kate & Ray X" was replaced with a simple navy blue strap. Books littered the glass coffee table situated in the centre of the room, and the odd children's toy was skrewn on the wooden floor.

"Honey, Aoibheann's arrived!" My dad called out to the household. I glowered at him, I just wanted to slip up to my room and spend the rest of my years captive there.

 Before I knew it, I was smothered in a soft hug by someone who smelt of strawberries. My new step-mom, Penny. Brilliant.

"Urgh, get OFF me! I do NOT do hugs!" I glowered, pushing her away and taking in her appearance. She was wearing a pair of denim dungarees over her long-sleeved, striped t-shirt, she had fair skin and dirty blonde hair that came down to her shoulders and she had a fringe which enhanced her heart-shaped face. Her green eyes were soft yet she looked upset by my coldness.

What was she expecting? That I would jump into her arms and just accept her into my life after all she is part of the reason why my family was torn apart!

"Mummm? Is that her?" two childrens voices chorused from the doorway into the kitchen.

"Yes, come over and meet your new sister, darlings!"

 "For future-reference, the only person who has the right to call me their sister is my brother, Jamie" I glared.

 "Mum, why is Aoibheann so angry?" One of the annoying little brats questioned as they entered the room. Well at least the had pronounced my name correct, its pronounced (Aveen) but it's spelt in the Irish way cos my dad's Irish. At least since I was back in Ireland, I didn't have to worry about people calling me A-o-I-b-hein or oven or bean. Jeez.

Before me stood my two new step-siblings. I gulped.

If I wasn't so full of hatred towards them, I guess I could have said they were verging on cute. The bot had dark brown hair and blue eyes and the boy was a little taller than the girl- I'd say he was no more than 6 and the little girl looked around 4.