Chapter 26

Lifting my heavy eye lids, I tried to adjust my eyes to the lighting in the room. Lifting my body I felt the most painfulness feeling in my left shoulder. I just lifted my body and I was panting as if I ran a marathon. I was sweating like a pig and I wanted to take a shower. Taking a deep breath, I felt dizzy.

"You're up," River said in the doorway. That's strange I didn't hear the door open.

"Were is Dawn and the others?" I asked.

"Dad and Uncle Vic are looking for the lycan that bit you," she said shutting the door behind her. "Mom is with Aunt Ray Ray, in the kitchen. She got hungry waiting for you to get up so she asked me to stay and watch you."

"She could have eaten here."

"She was worried that if you saw her with a bag of blood you would feel uncomfortable." She may have been right. Dawn is still a new born, and I'm not used to her being one of them. River on a chair next to the bed. Swinging her legs back and forth, barely touching the floor she tilted her head as if she was studying me. "How do you feel?"

"Like I got hit by a car."

"Have you ever been hit by a car?"

"No."

"Then how do you know what if feels like if you never got hit by one?"

Narrowing my eye at her, "Shut up."

She smiled at me as I did the same. "Oh I forgot," she said jumping off the chair and going under the bed. I was going to ask her why she was going down there but I thought I should just keep my mouth shut. "I hid this from mom because she doesn't like them."

"Them?" I asked. Coming out she placed a red box on the bed. She nodded her head and opened the box full of flowers. "She hates flowers?"

"These are not just any flowers, like the ones where you live. These are Witches Flowers." She pulled a white lily from the box and smiled. "Here lilies can make illusions," she put it back and pulled another one out and did it again as she had gone through the flowers, "Roses help the skin, Aster are for relaxing, sunflowers are for warmth, and-"

"What's that black one," I pointed out. I couldn't help but look at it.

I glanced up to River, with a fist by her side, she made a look I think I will never forget. "It's called the Queen of night or Queen of dreams. It's a forbidden flower, and a dangerous one to. This one is the last of its kind."

"Why is it dangerous?"

"Melantha. She used it to try to kill mom. You see, you bite a petal and make a wish. What ever you wish, it will do it but only in a dream or dreams. If you wished some one dead. It will kill that person in the dream so you don't have too." Cowards, I thought. "It's the reason why mom hate these flowers." Losing all emotions in her face she pulled out a lotus. "Can you take off your bandages?"

"Why?"

"Lotus are for healing and I don't want to touch that," she said making a face. Slowly pulling off the bandage off my left should I held my breath. River took a deep sigh and put the flower down. Took a corner that didn't have blood on it and ripped off before I could say a thing. Biting my bottom lip I wanted to curse that the little demon.

"I wasn't ready," I said angrily whispering to her in pain.

"Your fine. Get over it will you. It will all be over soon." Going bad to the box she pulled the lotus out and I flinched. "What now?" she asked a little annoyed.

"How can I trust you?"

"It's all I can do to thank you," she dropped her hands onto the bed. "I didn't like you... at first," at first? "Because I was afraid. While Uncle Vic looked for you I wanted to be the one to save her. But we aren't related by blood. It was the first time I learned that she wasn't my real mother. So I grew to hate you." I saw a tear stream down her face and I didn't know what to do. "I thought that when she woke that she would forget about me because I wasn't really her child. I don't want to be forgotten. I don't to be cast aside," she burst into tears as she bowed her head. "I didn't want her to leave me."

As painful as it was to lift my arm up, I placed my hand on top of her head. "You know, I'm like you, you know. I to thought the same thing. But unlike you I didn't want to ruin what my sister, your mother has here so I was going to leave without saying a word. But now that I hear your confession, I think I'm going to stay." I smiled.

"Why?" I could see the confusion on her face.

"Because. We are family now. And the more people you know, the more people that become your family. That way you will never be alone or forgotten." She made a funny face as if to hide the tears. Without a warning she slammed the lotus into my shoulder making me hold my breath. The pain was so bad that I couldn't even scream out loud. "You little shit! I'm going to kill you!" I said yelling through the pain.

"Thank you," she whispered with her head down.

Embarrassed I look away, "Your welcome."