Strider

"Who do you think it is?" Ann asks me that night. We are laying in my bed, her arms draped around my frame lending me beautiful warmth. I look at her, awed by her beauty as I always am when I look at her.
"I don't know," I say, "I've made plenty of enemies, but none that I can think of with a hook."
She rolls over on top of me, her eyes looking down on me lovingly.
"Are you worried?" She asks. I smile up at her.
"Not in the slightest," I say, encircling her in my arms and kiss her lovingly, "because I have Dauntless, and I have you. And how can anything hurt me when I have that?"
I sleep soundly that night, as I always do when I'm with Ann. I wake the next morning feeling refreshed, and dress myself humming softly. Suddenly, Benedict walks into the cabin with my morning meal.
"Good morning captain, I-" he cuts off, suddenly very embarrassed. I realize that Ann is still in bed, only in her under garments.
This is going to be a problem, I realize, I didn't even think of that, since I never had to worry about it with Ben.
"Ahem, Benedict, perhaps you should come back in a few minutes," I say gently. Benedict nods quickly, and races back out the door. From the bed, I hear Ann laughing quietly to herself.
"I thought the poor boy was going to faint," she laughs.
"I almost did, first time I saw you like this," I say, smiling at the memory, "but we should probably make sure this doesn't happen again."
Ann dresses herself, then walks out of the cabin, giving Benedict a wink as she walks past and causing the poor boy to turn a deep scarlet. I laugh quietly to myself. Ann has come a far way from the scared little merchant girl I defended on Griffin's deck. Even as I become more like my old mentor with every day that passes, Ann acts more and more like Rachel every day, fully embracing the exiting life of a pirate.
"Here sit down Benedict," I say, "have a drink."
He does, and I eat my breakfast quickly.
"So, I assume that you've heard what being cabin boy really means by now," I say.
"Yes, but..." Benedict trails off.
"But you're not sure if you believe it." I finish for him. He nods.
"Tell me," I ask, "have you hear of the pirate Mad Ben Crowley?"
"Of course, who hasn't?" Benedict says, "he was one of the most terrifying pirates to ever sail the seas. They said he tore the head off every captain he met, drank blood instead of wine, and had more treasure than the king of England."
"Well, I can tell you most of what you heard is exaggerated lies," I say with a chuckle, "he was actually a fairly upright fellow. A terrifying pirate yes, and a master swordsman without a doubt. But drank the blood of his victims? Ha! Old Ben wouldn't even drink rum."
"So you knew him then?" Benedict asks, clearly in awe that I had known a man so infamous.
"Aye, I knew Ben Crowley," I said with a sad smile, "sailed with him for two years, came to call him friend. I was there when he died too, and then elected captain in his place."
"What were you before you became captain?" He asks eagerly, "master gunner? Quarter master?"
"Cabin boy," I say, smiling at the shock that covered his face, "I was Mad Ben's cabin boy. In those two years I knew him, he taught me everything I know, how to wield a blade, how to steer and fight the Dauntless, everything. It was only about seven years ago that I sat in the very chair you sit in now, and he made me the same offer I give you now. Seven years since he took me on the deck, humiliated me in front of the crew, and tore me down until I was bare."
"And then what?" Benedict asks. I smile again.
"Then he rebuilt me into a pirate."

Three days later, we spot the Silver Reef. With Seventh Star following us in, we make dock. The small little island town we first made has grown considerably. There were bunk houses, taverns, and warehouses littering the shore. I note that Jonathan and his ship, the Atlantian, is in port. It is a pretty little thing, looking much like I imagine Poseidon's Dagger looked like before Gold turned her into a tavern. I considered doing the same, but Jonathan fell in love with her, and in the end I gave the Atlantian to him.
"Ahoy captain!" Jonathan calls out from the dock as we walk off the ship.
"Good to see you Jonathan," I say, smiling back. Since returning to us, Jonathan has become a pretty good pirate. Though I suspect that he still struggles with the idea of piracy at times, he pilots his ship like no other, and his crew respects him. I usually use his ship to procure supplies and such, although he will occasionally take his ship pirating.
"And who's that behind you?" Jonathan asks.
"This here is Benedict," I tell him, putting my arm around the kid, "he is my new cabin boy."
"Ah, taking on a protégé then," he says smiling, "very nice. May he become every bit the scoundrel you have become Captain Will."
"One can only hope," I laugh.
"Speaking of new recruits," Jonathan continues, "I just picked one up as well. Found him on another sloop, passage to some island near Cuba. He said that he was a navy vet from England, but he looks like a soldier of fortune to me."
"Soldier of fortune?" Benedict asks next to me.
"A mercenary," Jonathan explains, "much like that Thorn fellow I heard you had the pleasure of meeting. They're a un respectable lot, only care for money and are willing to do anything to get it."
"While I would normally agree with you," I interrupt, "that is about the same discription most sailors would give when talking about us. Let's give the man the benefit of doubt shall we?"
We head through the shanty town, with Benedict following closely, and then arrive at the tavern. It's every bit as loud and rowdy as Poseidon's Dagger ever was, and I take pride in the little place. There is always plenty of rum to drink, sea shanties every night sometimes accompanied by flute or fiddle, and female companionship for any pirate feeling lonely. I personally don't agree with the last bit, but at the end of the day they are rowdy, crazed men, and there is little I could do to stop their womanly pursuits.
The tavern tonight is especially crowded, as Dauntless's crew find their way ashore and meet with their old ship mates and friends. It smells of rum and smoke, as any pirate tavern should, the sound of loud laughter and conversations yelled across the room drown out any other sounds, and I find myself immediately filled with joy. These pirates, loud and unruly as they are, are my people, and I love them.
We walk to a back room away from the noise, and take a seat around the table. Captain Simone follows us in, and I send Benedict to get us some drinks; tea for myself and spirits for the other captains.
"So, down to business I suppose," I say when Benedict leaves.
"The waters are becoming increasingly infested with warships," Jonathan says, pointing to a map laid out on the table, "especially around Port Royal, Cuba and the Florida coast."
"I myself ran into one such group," Simone says, "mercenary pirate hunters. I would not be here if not for Captaine William."
"Indeed," I comment, "it seems that Europe has grown tired of us and our kind, and are beginning to tighten the noose."
"Well they ain't gunna catch us," Smitty says from the corner. Much like Benedict, Smitty's role as cook doesn't show how much power he actually holds aboard Dauntless. After Ben's death, Smitty became an advisor of sorts, and I trust his judgment completely.
"Quite right Smitty," I say with a smile, "they'll find that it will take more than a few warships and mercenaries to deal with the Silver Reef pirates. Speaking of mercenaries though, why don't we invite in this chap Jonathan found. I'd like to get a better judge of the man."
"He should be in the bar," Jonathan says, and Smitty leaves to go get him. A few minutes later, after Benedict returns with our drinks, Smitty enters with a tall man wearing a brown cloak. Underneath is a white cotton shirt, with a black belt buckled tightly around his waist. A pair of swords hang from either side, and I can see the outline of two pistols through his cloak behind him. His boots are a jet black, with the hilt of a knife sticking out of one and the butt of a third pistol sticking out of the other. His hair is raven black, his face covered in stubble, and his eyes shine with a cold, calculating stare.
"What's your name?" I ask finally.
"I have no name," he says. His voice is deep and hollow, threatening yet completely emotionless.
"I beg your pardon," Simone says next to me, "but did you say that you do not have a name?"
"None that matters. You may call me the Strider," the man says.
"Strider," I say skeptically, "that's a strange name to call yourself. You say you're an ex soldier?"
"No," Strider tells me, "not ex soldier. War veteran. I no longer fight wars, but that does not mean I'm no longer a soldier."
"So you are a mercenary then," Jonathan accuses. Strider shrugs.
"If that's what you want to call me," he says, "it makes no difference to me."
"What were you doing aboard that ship?" I ask.
"I was on a mission to find a man," Strider answers, "but my search proved unsuccessful. I was returning to my client when my ship was attacked. Now, my mission is irrelevant. It seems that I have a new opportunity."
"What do you mean?" Jonathan asks suspiciously.
"I like money," Strider says simply, "and I would be paid nothing if I return to my client empty handed. You however, have a lot of it. I can stand a watch, sail a ship, and kill. And those are all the things necessary to join a pirates crew yes?"
"There is much more than that," I say frowning, "but in essence yes, those are the necessities."
"Well then," Strider says, "it seems that my talents are at your disposal Captain William. For a small price of course."
"Hold on!" Jonathan interrupts, "you are not joining us that easily!"
"Smitty, would you please take mister, ah, Strider out for a minute?" I say, "I would like a moment of privacy to discuss this offer." Smitty nods, and takes leads Strider out of the room.
"You can't seriously be considering letting this mercenary join are you?" Jonathan asks incredulously.
"I am," I confirm, "He is obviously a very dangerous man, and very smart as well. Tell me Jonathan, did you notice when he pick pocketed you on the way out?" Judging by Jonathan's stare and frantic patting of his pockets, he had not.
"A man like that can be useful," I continue, "especially for us."
"But he is a snake!" Jonathan interjects.
"Yes, that he might be," I concede, "but when a snake lands in your lap, there are really only two things you can do to stop it from biting you. Either kill it, or train it to bite someone else. My morals are not yet so far gone that I can order the assassination of a man and still keep a good conscious, even if he is a mercenary. So that leaves us with the second option."
"You're going to let a very dangerous man with unknown motives into our crew?" Simone asks.
"Yes," I say, "and I intend to keep him very close indeed. Put him aboard Dauntless, I'll keep an eye on him."
"Well, I hope you know what you're doing," Jonathan mutters.
"You and me both," I tell him with a sad smile.