Chapter 43

Chapter 43:

Destiny's POV

"I'm just really nervous." I bite my lip subconsciously, but then stop because I need to keep this lipstick on my lips. I'm on the phone with Louis right before the first performance of the school musical, Into the Woods. Luckily, I got the part and I've put so much work into this up until now, the first performance. 

Louis chuckles softly, "Des, you'll be fine. You're the most talented one out there and you'll do amazing."

I play with the end of my red silk cape and grin to myself, "You promise?" 

"I promise. I need to go now, the lights are turning off. Break a leg!" The line goes dead and I go back to the costume room to put my phone away in my bag. 

Whilst in the room with mirrors covering one wall and a clothing rack on the other, Zach is talking to Haley and Kyle and laughing with them. I persuaded the three to be part of the costume and makeup crew so I wouldn't be in this whole production without one close friend. The boys don't really do anything but costumes for the extras, but Haley is really good at makeup and does a great job with all of the characters. 

"Hey Destiny, are you nervous?" Kyle asks. I shrug and go over to the mirror to gaze at my stage makeup. It's a little darker than my regular skin tone, but that's just because the lights would wash me out if I weren't wearing anything. My lipstick could use another coat. 

Apparently, Haley is already on it, "Here, your lipstick needs another coat," she hands me a black tube of the pale pink lipstick. I thank her and begin to apply another layer. 

"You'll be fine up there. I don't know how you do it, but you're bloody incredible at pretending to be someone else," Zach says, smiling brightly. 

I smack my lips together in a content manner and gaze at Zach through the mirror, grinning as well. "Thank you, but now I better get backstage."

Hugs are exchanged and my nerves seemed to lift away as I go to stage right, waiting for the director to be done speaking to the audience and also for my cue to enter the stage. 

~

About an hour and a half later, all of the cast and crew is back on the stage, bowing and curtseying to the clapping of the audience. Not until now did I find Louis in the crowd. The auditorium is quite large, fitting about a thousand people, and with all of the bright lights I couldn't find him whilst acting on stage. He seemed to be accompanied by Dani and Liam which brightened my mood. To know that they came to see me act in a musical and took time out of their day to just see me really means a lot. 

I love to act on stage. It's quite the exhilarating feeling to be telling a story as a totally different person to an audience. Singing is the only part that makes me nervous due to the fact that my voice wasn't meant for big dramatic songs that require a soprano with strong vibrato. My voice cannot go nearly as high, but I'm working on it. Maybe one day I'll be as good as Zayn. 

Later on, I find myself outside of the auditorium in the entryway among clusters of people. Some congratulate me as I pass by hurriedly, and I thank them and continue on to find Louis, Liam, and Dani. Where could they be?

Luckily, I find a head of brown tousled hair and make my way over to him. His back is turned to me, but Liam is facing in my direction and waves as I come closer to the three. 

"Destiny! You did amazing," Liam compliments me, pulling me into a tight squeeze. I smile brightly, finally feeling as if my family doesn't hate me for once because he's proud.