Chapter One

My Husband's Lover
Nhica Moico
(Edited)

It's a quarter after one.
I'm all alone and I need you now.
Said I wouldn't call, but I lost all control
And I need you now.
And I don't know how I can do without, 
I just need you now.

Another shot of whiskey, 
Can't stop looking at the door.
Wishing you'd come sweeping in the way you did before.

And I wonder if I ever cross your mind.
For me it happens all the time.

Lady Antebellum, Need You Now

Chapter One

                Marriage was an everlasting binding--a commitment that carried us till death do us part. I thought about this as I gaze into the mirror; my glowing kaleidoscope orbs a piercing blue underneath the silk of my veil. My hand uncontrollably skimmed the seams of my white wedding dress; trembling slightly as it reached the taut corset. The fabric of the flowing gown was soft and silky, like sin, beneath my well manicured fingertips. My palms caught into the loops of my dress and panic surged through me; immediately causing me to smooth it down. I didn't want to scratch any silky surface today when it was made just for me. Today. For my big day. Because I was to get married--betrothed to my childhood sweetheart.

                This marriage was supposed to be The Wedding of the Century--the day when Jace Johnson, haughty playboy and infamous womanizer was to be one of the bachelors whom this city believed would never get married. But here I was, sitting in front of the monumental mirror that sat in the center of my dressing room. I stared at the pale, incandescent reflection of myself; my darkened curls done up intricately in a bridal plait. Ringlets escaped the updo, making it more regal if I said so myself--but even pure beauty couldn't mask the angst, fatigue, and exhaustion. Removing the veil and clipping on glistening diamond earrings and a matching necklace, I thought of the saying that went around this town--that the diamond lasted forever. Well that was true, in a real marriage devoted to gratifying love and devotion. A vow until death. Not some arranged marriage where two people were thrown into the chaos unwillingly. 

                Dizziness attacked all of a sudden like a blackened plague, and I placed a hand on the cold surface the mirror. I didn't have enough sleep last night; I was too caught up to bracing myself for the marriage Jace and I didn't want, but a blissful marriage the world wanted. A marriage the world needed. I had to embrace myself as the new Amy Smith Johnson and I knew my life would never be the same. There would be media, and the press bothering and barking up the wrong tree for a story. The press owned me now, I was their decoy--the same thing concerning the Johnson family. They ornamentally chose me, bought me, and I was to be American royalty. But my life was in their hands now. Because they purchased me, and they're going to want their money's worth.

                The nauseating, revolting thought of the made up, disgusting fairytale sent vomit up my throat--how the famous womanizer Jace Johnson decided to marry his childhood sweetheart. But underneath the twist of lies they fed people, Jace and I both knew that the purpose of this marriage was to save their string of companies and his parents' faces. Since their business nearly came crashing down due to the brink of bankruptcy, one of their primary investors threatened to cut off his chains to the company if they didn't get their act together--hurting their stocks and decreasing the millions of dollars they owned. The only to prevent the downfall of the business, was to secure its reputation--including all loose ends. So, Jace had to get married to a decent woman. And his parents had chosen me since our parents had known each other ever since were infants.