Chapter Four

Johnny lit a cigarette as we continued walking. He handed it to Ponyboy, then lit one for himself. I had never smoked before, I was more of the drinker type. Telling by the look on my face, Johnny concluded that I hadn't ever smoked. "You wanna try it?" he asked curiously. I shrugged. Why not? He stuck his cigarette in his mouth as he lit a third one. Gingerly, he handed it to me. I had seen people smoke in movies and on television shows, so it couldn't be too difficult.

I lifted it to my lips and inhaled it. When I let it out, it's smoke came out through my nostrils. "That was easier than I thought," I admitted. Ponyboy chuckled before lifting his to his lips.

We arrived at the lot and sat down. "You guys come here a lot?" I asked. They both nodded in unison.

"Sometimes Dally joins us," Johnny told me quietly. Smoke trailed out of his nostrils and into the air. Ponyboy shifted uncomfortably, trying to get cozy.

"You know, Dani.... " he said. "I think Soda really likes you. Ever since the first time you came, you're pretty much all he talks about." With that comment, my face had turned a deeper red than I had hoped, and butterflies erupted in my stomach.

"Oh really?" was all I could muster. I was shocked. I wasn't really the type of girl to leave an impression on a guy.

Ponyboy nodded. "I didn't mind, you're a great girl," he added with a grin. I blushed again.

"Oh stop!" I ordered, feigning embarrassment. Pony and Johnny chuckled as I put on my little show.

"Having fun?" Johnny asked, sounding a bit like a smart ass even though he was kidding.

"Oh yea, real fun!" I replied sarcastically. I took another whiff of cigarette before putting it out. "That wasn't so bad!" I exclaimed, shocked. I had heard from many people that cigarettes were disgusting, but I didn't think they were all that bad.

"Seriously," said Ponyboy, switching the conversation back to Sodapop. "I really think he does like you. He talks about you nonstop and he's always daydreaming. Then... he always seems mesmerized while looking at you." I chuckled, imaging Soda drooling over me. It didn't seem possible.

Later on, we headed back to the Curtis house. We walked in to see Two-Bit sitting next to a pretty girl on the couch. "Who's this?" Ponyboy questioned. Two-bit broke into a grin.

"This here's my new girlfriend, Rebekah!" he said, jabbing a thumb in her direction. She popped a gum bubble and smiled warmly.

"Nice to meet you," she greeted. She seemed nice and was real pretty. I could see why Two-Bit chose her.

"Where's the food?" she demanded, but in a way it sounded nice. Ponyboy motioned to the kitchen. Rebekah rushed up from the couch and got some food.

"My girl can eat!" Two-Bit stated proudly. The rest of us laughed as she came back with an entire bag of chips. Before she sat down, Two-Bit smacked her square on the butt. She showed no shame, shoving a couple in her mouth.

"I'm always hungry," she commented before sticking another chip in her mouth. We were all caught up in that moment, laughing and enjoying ourselves. I heard a door open and my heart stopped beating for a second. There stood Sodapop.

He grinned broadly at the sight of me. "Hey Dani!" he said, pulling me into a hug. I laid my head against his shoulder. He smelled good and his hug was comfortable, I almost didn't want to let go. Out of the corner of my eyes, I saw Ponyboy wiggle his eyebrows. I sent him a glare, which caused him to stop.

We both pulled away simultaneously. He awkwardly scratched the back of his head, that cute way the flirty guy always does in those movies..

"I was wondering if you wanted to come with me into town. There's this local band called Killer Key and I wanted you to come with me to see them," he offered. I nodded excitedly, but paused.

"I have to ask my uncle, but he's right in the kitchen," I told him before heading in there. Uncle Alec was just standing up from the floor. He turned around to see me standing there.

"I see you're back," he noted. He turned to Darry. "That should fix it. If it ever busts again, let me know." He turned back to me.

"Can I go with Soda later on to see this new local band called Killer Key?" I asked politely as possible. He pondered for a moment.

"As long as you're home safe before midnight," he replied, "but I trust Soda. He's a good kid." I couldn't help but grin like an idiot. I was technically going to be on a date with Sodapop Curtis.