Chapter Five

Sodapop took my hand and led me through the crowded room. We made our way to the front, near the stage. He gave my hand a squeeze just before the lead singer started speaking. "I'm pleased to announce that our band will be playing for you tonight," he greeted into the microphone. Murmurs of approval rippled through the crowd. "Have fun everyone!" he said before a guitar started to strum. The music was slowish, light, and easy to dance to. Sodapop held out his hand for me to take.

"Shall we?" he asked, pretending to be formal. I nodded curtly. He wrapped his arms around my waist, pressing me closer to him. I slid my hands around his cold neck and we swayed to the beat. "This is nice," I whispered in his ear. He nodded and broke into his charming smile.

Gently, we swayed back and forth, the motion putting me to sleep. I rested my head against Sodapop's chest, enjoying the moment.

Killer Key was a great band. Besides the first song, the rest were bouncy and fun. Almost like beach music. It had been awesome and I had a wonderful time.

Sodapop had a loose grip on the steering wheel as he drove back. "I had an amazing time," I blurted. With that, I turned a deep shade of red.

"So did I," he added, trying to hide a big grin. "Dani.... you're a great person." My heart fluttered and stomach started hurting a little, but in a good way.

"Sure...." I replied sarcastically. "But you are!" He chuckled and shook his head.

"How about we're both great people to the other person?" he suggested, still chuckling. I nod. The silence was awkward and we still had a ways to go before we got anywhere near my uncle's house.

"Dani....." he said, breaking the silence. "I really like you. I've never felt this way about anyone before. I can't stop thinking about you and you're all I ever talk about." This time, there's an explosion of butterflies in my stomach. I wanted to jump and scream with joy, but instead I sighed.

"I really like you too, Soda," I choked out nervously. 'There's nothing to be nervous about,' I thought to myself. 'He likes you too.'

"Will you..... be my girlfriend?" he asked, his free hand shaking very slightly. I began to grin like an idiot, but in that moment, I didn't care.

"Of course!" I responded. "I thought you'd never ask."

Later on, I laid on my bed, replaying the night in my head. 'I thought you'd never ask?!' Wow that's so cliché.

I couldn't wipe the smile that had taken over my face. I was so happy.

An aroma drafted in from the kitchen. 'That must be dinner,' I thought before getting up. Sure enough, Uncle Alec was pulling chicken out of the oven. "How was your date with Sodapop?" he asked, dishing the chicken onto two plates.

"It wasn't a date," I defended, getting flushed. "Well not until the car ride here. He told me he really liked me and asked me to be his girlfriend." Uncle Alec set the two plates on the small round table and raised an eyebrow.

"Oh really? I take it you said yes...?" he half asked, half stated. I nodded. "Good. He's a good kid. I'm happy for you." I smiled warmly before heading off to my room.

The next morning I woke up to the sound of tapping on my window. Hurriedly, I jumped out of bed and pulled up the shade. I was extremely startled to see Sodapop standing outside, grinning from ear to ear.

"What are you doing here?" I asked in the midst of laughing. He shrugged.

"I just wanted to see you," he replied through the window. "I missed you."